MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Tricky Dynamics set up

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Nelson-DooleyTricky Dynamics set up
by on May 15, 2013 at 7:50:05 pm

I need to create a Dynamics setup that simulates the type of booby trap with two logs suspended by ropes swinging down like pendulums and smashing together. I'm sure you know what I mean, it's in everything (Return of the Jedi comes to mind).

I've tried a couple of different setups, first using spline dynamics, then using a connector, last using springs. All sorta work but have their quirks. My client is going to want to tweak the setup ("make it bouncier", "make the logs twist less", etc). Any thoughts about the best solution?

Thanks as always!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Tricky Dynamics set up
by on May 16, 2013 at 3:05:34 am

it probably depends on how much time you are going to show it (and the aftermath) for. The whole Return of the Jedi log crushing clip lasts somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds including chopping the ropes and less than a second is after impact. With that kind of time scale it's possible to cheat and not use dynamics at all but whichever dynamics solution gives the closest result but still offers some control by using the Mass/Rotational Mass/Dampening settings would be good too. are you going to be spending a lot more time?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved