Having problem using proximal shader with Mograph

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Henik
Having problem using proximal shader with Mograph
on May 6, 2013 at 5:10:10 pm

Hi there,

I came across a popcorn tutorial, made by the "Grayscalegorilla" team,
and I wanted to try this awsome tutorial out.

Dynamically everything works fine, and the kernels pop up very well as you can see in the picture, but in the render I found out the disaster, since the kernels before they pop up look totally different than they should look like. I used the cloner from MoGraph to multiply the kernels, as shown in the tutorial, but when the centered Kernel move out of the center, everything gets crazy. The reason for it, is the use of multiple textures, which I used as explained in the tutorial. The Kernel Start-texture that should have been shown well, had to include in the Alpha settings a Proximal Shader, and the calculations for it's use I made as explained in the tutorial.
But the proximal shader messes everything up for the kernels, before they pop up, While after popping up they look just fine. If I give up on the proximal shader, the texture won't change after popping up. So I need the Proximal Shader, but it leaves me with the problem. I attached a Picture so you can see the problem.

I run the tutorial maybe ten times back and forth, but I don't see what I could have missed.
So what could be the problem? I hope someone of you can help me out, because I couldn't get an answer from the GSG Team.
I'd be happy if someone could help me out.
Thanx
Andy

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Having problem using proximal shader with Mograph
on May 7, 2013 at 3:58:46 am

Hard to say without seeing your scene file, but it looks like one or more of your displacement deformers is partially turned on.

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 7, 2013 at 10:59:08 am

I tried by turning off the displacement deformers, as you sayd, but it didn't solve my problem. I therefore I attach the file I created.

5969_kernel.c4d.zip

Hope you'll find the solution, and I thank you very much.

Kindest regards
Andy

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 7, 2013 at 2:35:34 pm

The problem is that you have displacement active in your unpopped kernel material.

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 7, 2013 at 3:19:07 pm

Actually I tried that part, and it didn't work for the texture, but only for the displacement.
And after turning the displacement off, even if I put a keyframe to turn it on at the popup timing, it doesn't work with the random effector. So what can I do?

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 7, 2013 at 3:20:59 pm

Actually I tried that part, and it didn't work for the texture, but only for the displacement.
And after turning the displacement off, even if I put a keyframe to turn it on at the popup timing, it doesn't work with the random effector. So what can I do?

Did you download the file? can you take a look at it? Maybe even send me back the solution!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 7, 2013 at 3:34:20 pm

No, I don't mean turn off the displacement deformers; I mean turn off the displacement CHANNEL in the kernel.2 material. As it stands you are using two kinds of displacement: the deformers AND render-time displacement from your material's displacement channel. You just need the deformers for this.

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 7, 2013 at 6:31:40 pm

I did this as well, and I still remain with the brown texture of the spots that had the displacement. If you look at the pictures I've sent, and also if you turn of the proximal Shader of the kernels, you can see the real color of the kernels, just as I want them to look like.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 7, 2013 at 9:57:13 pm

Sorry, now I see what you're saying. Are you using R14 by any chance? I am and it seems to be working differently from R13, which I assume is what was used to make the tutorial.

What I discovered is that, when you use a cloner, you can't have the proximal shader referencing the clone itself. When you do it doesn't translate to the clones. What you have to do is delete the sphere from the proximal shader's Objects box and instead drag the cloner object in there.

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 8, 2013 at 5:00:31 am

I did the same, I use R14 Demoversion to see what would happen. I got the same result in 13 and 14 demo version. the kernels look fine at the beginning, but when they pop up, they dont change anymore to the texture they should.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 8, 2013 at 12:39:31 pm

It works if you increase the proximal distance slightly. It worked for me when I bumped the max upt to 12 or higher.

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 8, 2013 at 1:31:57 pm

Can you send an example file? It doesn't work for me. Sorry...

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on May 8, 2013 at 2:25:37 pm

Here you go: 5976_popcorn.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Andy Henik
on May 8, 2013 at 3:11:28 pm

Thank you very much. I see now what the problem was. I am very greatfull to you. Hope to return the favour one day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]