MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cloner to take on the shape of Logo (Illustrator Spline)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Syed IqbalCloner to take on the shape of Logo (Illustrator Spline)
by on May 5, 2013 at 10:57:40 pm

I am not sure if I would be able to write it perfectly but all I am trying is to use Object method of the Cloner to take on the shape of Illustrator spline that I imported and then used Extrude nurbs on to it with Hierarchy option turned on. Here are the steps that I followed:

1) Imported Illustrator file (saved in Illustrator 8 version).
2) Applied Extrude nurbs and under caps option of the Extrude nurbs and under type options of the Caps, I picked Quadrangles, Regular Grid checked, and 1 cm as width so that I could have more spots to place my cloner objects on.
3) Then I used simple Step effector to see if things are working fine but it seems I am doing something wrong as moving effector does not show any movement of cloner objects.

In fact I am not even able to see if the cloner object has taken on the shape of Illustrator logo. The logo extrude I did earlier has only been darkened which is the only thing I could see.

Also noticed that the segments I added to extruded object have some distortion on the front faces and there seems to be no additional segments at all on the sides of the extruded object. Even though I am not much concerned for the side walls, I just thought of asking this.

I wanted to do some cool animations using a few effectors once I was able to give the cloner object the shape of my logo. If not 100% then at least very close to it as I guess where there are curves, the cloner object might have problems following the logo shape.

Please share your views on this and oblige.

Here are some screen shots:
Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Cloner to take on the shape of Logo (Illustrator Spline)
by on May 6, 2013 at 3:20:54 am

A number of suggestions:

1. Place your extrude nurbs object into a connect object and clone onto that instead of cloning directly onto the extrude. Otherwise Cinema doesn't seem to want to clone onto the caps;

2. Set your spline's intermediate points to uniform and then adjust the number to avoid the problem of having too few points along straight edges and too many along curves;

3. Use the extrude object's "Subdivision" parameter to get more vertices on the sides of the extrusion;

4. make the turn off the editor visibility of the extrude object so you can see what's happening with the clones.

Return to posts index

Syed IqbalRe: Cloner to take on the shape of Logo (Illustrator Spline)
by on May 6, 2013 at 6:00:15 pm

Hi Adam,
Many thanks for your help which has allowed me to shape things much better.

Few more questions though;

My Clone base object (Cube) was 10cm in size. So in Cloner distribution options, I picked Step with a Step setting of 10cm. It almost places all the desired cloners on the outline of my logo but it has not been able to fill all the internal space of each letter. See my attached image to understand what I mean.

Also note that Intermediate point setting of my imported spline apparently works better in "Adaptive" setting. I tried to choose "Uniform" and also tried to play with the "Number" setting but it was showing some weird results, like the who logo was distorting and lines and curves started intersecting each other at unusual places.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved