MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Fog, physics tags and some other stuff.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amit Parekh
Fog, physics tags and some other stuff.
on Apr 17, 2013 at 6:25:54 pm

I'm not sure how much you guys know about Minecraft animations, but I'm working on one. It's basically an animation based on a game. I need some help on a few bits to make it look more authentic and to make life easier while animating since it's going to get complicated later.

1. Fog.
In-game, at the edge of the render distance of the camera, there's a circle of fog around you. I want to replicate this in C4D so that the edges of the actual set fades away in the fog. Here is an example. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=a5v0-iF7nQU#t=205s". You can see it better as the camera zooms out from the house. I want it to be based around the camera too. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious for this. It's also slightly blurred, depending on the distance of the camera. Any tips for this are greatly appreciated, but it's not that important to make it authentic to the game.

2. Physics explosions.
So this game is based on blocks (so cubes), and in the video, I'm going to be exploding a lot of it using "ExplosionFX". Basically, the top layer of ground will be made of (let's say) grass. Craters will be made and filled in so only these blocks explode and the rest doesn't. How can I get it so that when I get them to fall to the grass layer, they do so without colliding and bouncing away? Will I need to use the rigid body tag? And if so, how is the right way to use it since whenever I do, the layers always fall though everything and I can never get it to stay still. I want it to be rigid but not move until I tell it to, and in the case of the grass layer, not at all.

That's about it for now. Thanks for your help in advance.

Kind Regards,
Ak.

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
Re: Fog, physics tags and some other stuff.
on Apr 18, 2013 at 8:56:40 am

Amit Parekh,

1. for fog you can use environment object and under object tab check enable fog ..

Ashish Gupta
Motiongraphics artist and 3d generalist

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Amit Parekh
on Apr 18, 2013 at 1:05:12 pm

Thanks. But how should I set it up so the sky is unaffected, much. Since I'm using a "Sky" that's blue, and after I put the fog on, I just want the edge of the map to seem blurry without the sky losing it's colour?

Ak.

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:20:07 pm

[Amit Parekh] "I just want the edge of the map to seem blurry without the sky losing it's colour?"

You can use a Fog shader and put it on an object something like a torus would do .. scale it up .. and u get the effect of fog on the edge of your map without affecting sky ..

Ashish Gupta

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Amit Parekh
on Apr 19, 2013 at 8:15:51 pm

Sorry. what's a fog shader and how should I go about making it/getting it sorted? Is it a material?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:56:28 pm

I assume he's talking about the fog channel in the standard Cinema material. It's an old-school solution, but it works. Generally you would put it on a big squashed sphere that encompases your entire scene.

Return to posts index

Amit Parekh
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:04:37 pm

Oh, I remember. I tried that before posting on here, using a sphere. When it was a small sphere, it worked and the edges look foggy. However, when making the size large and putting the set inside of it, it didn't work. I can't remember since I got rid of that shape, but it didn't work because it just didn't show up or it made the entire sky grey, and not with a foggy edge and a clear sky. Is there anyway to fix this or is this problem unavoidable due to the size of the scene. Since this is just the beginning bit, and later the main set will be a load bigger; is there no way of doing this easily? I'll try make this fog shader again and see what happens and get back with a screenshot of the problem then.

Also, do you have any tips regarding the second point about the tags and the explosions?

--------------
Edit:

Here's a picture of a giant torus surrounding the map via the "Render View".

Link: http://speedcap.net/sharing/screen.php?id=files/1e/b6/1eb6fb19925d522baaa38...

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:44:11 pm

I didnt meant the fog channel .. but the fog shader ..

Have a look :

Here's a scene file:

5901_fog.c4d.zip

Ashish Gupta

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Ashish Gupta
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:07:49 pm

As for Your second question it's not really clear to me what are you trying to achieve .. can u elaborate a bit more..

what's the actual problem that you are facing .. ?

Ashish Gupta

aashi.29nov@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Amit Parekh
on Apr 23, 2013 at 3:51:25 pm

I think, now after thinking about it, I need to try it a bit more thoroughly before posting back here. Thanks but I'll make a new post specifically about that issue, if I still have it.

Thank you for the project. Works great but, looking at it, I want it to look like it fades out to white/grey, but it still SORT OF, visible. Looking at the shader, it fades from "bottom to top". Can I rotate the material so it will fade from "left-to-right"? Just like it did in the original example. I'll screenshot it's current state if you want it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]