MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Abso-Noob Questions about the Knife tool

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Butch GoldenAbso-Noob Questions about the Knife tool
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:23:30 am

I'm stuck from almost the beginning with this functionality. In attempts to cut rectangular holes in a wall for a door and a picture window I make X & Y cuts all the way across the wall to avoid triangulars and when I go to punch out the material in the hole area, I lose faces on the other side of the wall that need to remain.

Probably has to do with settings for the type of cut I'm trying to do but I've searched this forum, the Cafe, and You Tube with ‘0’ results on why this is happening. So far, the subject of settings and the correct procedure to keep what needs to remain isn't getting covered.

The other issue is 45° cuts for miters. How does one set that value? I tried Edge, Point, and Face mode but drawing from the top corner edge to the inside edge I find that the end point is movable (up & down) so it's hard to tell where the true 45° angle actually falls out at.

Yup, I need tutes / training and am saving for these but really dislike sitting on my hands whilst waiting.

Most grateful for any direction.

Butch

Return to posts index

Butch GoldenRe: Abso-Noob Questions about the Knife tool
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 4:21:59 am

I like it when I get to figure out my own problems.

The answers to my first Q are:
Loop Cut - Bridge the sections on the opposite side - Bridge the spaces between the outsides of the walls (if needed) Just need to remember to not introduce ngons by only bridging right-angle points. ;8 )

Just need some help with the miter cut question now

B.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Abso-Noob Questions about the Knife tool
by on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:18:37 pm

the Knife/Line mode has a Constrain that you can set to anything (set to 45° by default) or are you looking for something different?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2013 at 8:26:57 pm

Hello Brian

I noticed that the 45° angle can actually be negated if one moves the mouse up or down at the end point edge. The degree of angle changes and is no longer a true one.

I have parked the point at what I thought was the right angle, only to find that it's off. I assume there is no 'snap' function - or haven't yet discovered it. Is that what the Constrain check box is for? (Doesn't seem to work for me so far)

Thanks for helping!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:03:55 pm

there are a full set of snapping tools - press "p" or use the icon on the left (if you are in 14) - as well as guides and workplane manipulation you can do in 14

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59:23 pm

I have R12
Will need to find work-arounds.

Thanks for your help sir.

B

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:25:13 pm

well the snapping settings are there in 12. And the knife tool Constrain does work - unless there is something odd about your miters

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:27:58 am

A big Thank You to Brian Jones for all the help.

I not only found all I needed to make nice miters but a whole lot more that I'm happy I did due diligence to find and work through.
Be well

Butch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]