MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Depth of Field focus range?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe MorrisDepth of Field focus range?
by on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:21:47 pm

I'm quite new to Cinema 4D and I'm experimenting with Depth of Field, although I can't figure out how to increase the range of focus. Like, it will only let me focus on one part, making things that are a little in front of it and a little behind it blurry.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Depth of Field focus range?
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:50:43 pm

which renderer are you using? It's different setup depending if you are using the Standard or Physical renderer.

Return to posts index

Joe MorrisRe: Depth of Field focus range?
by on Apr 6, 2013 at 5:46:51 pm

Physical.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Depth of Field focus range?
by on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:06:29 am

it's a lot easier in the Standard render where you can just set the limits visually (not physically accurate but easier) but Physical is based on the rules of real cameras so depth of field is controlled by Focal Length, Sensor Size (Object tab of the camera) and FStop (Physical tab of the camera) -- the easiest way to control depth is the FStop - increase that and the depth should get bigger

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:30:01 pm

I want to make the area which is in total focus bigger.

Return to posts index

Kenn BaynardRe: Depth of Field focus range?
by on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:14:34 pm

Are you talking "Focal Distance?" If you adjust or animate that parameter you can basically "roll the focus" during the course of the animation. You'll find it in the "Object" tab. If you want to increase the amount of blur then you'll have to lower the f-stop. Sometimes to really low numbers to make a difference (like 0.25, etc..)

In real world optics when you lower the f-stop you're opening the camera's iris allowing more light in, allowing you to achieve depth of field by focusing on an object by using a combination of focal length and iris settings (generally meaning you need to be zoomed in on an object to achieve DoF). In C4D's physical renderer you're simulating real optics by allowing similar controls. But unlike the real world you can take the f-stop down below f/1.0 to allow you to achieve DoF in smaller environments where objects may be close together, and you don't have to adjust the focal length of the camera.

You could also play with the DOF Map Front Blur and Rear Blur settings under "Details". Those are present in both renderers.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 18, 2013 at 1:13:16 pm

I want to change how much is in focus DoF-wise.

Return to posts index

Lee YangRe: Depth of Field focus range?
by on Feb 19, 2015 at 5:32:21 pm

The higher the Fstop, the less DOF. F 1.2 will give you a narrow focus point. F 8 will give you a larger focused area.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]