MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Spline Dynamics/Objects Dangling On String

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Matthews
Spline Dynamics/Objects Dangling On String
on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:42:07 pm

Hi,

I've just started to learn how to have text or objects dangling from string using spline dynamics. I followed a tutorial by Emil1585 on YouTube, who creates a piece of string by using a helix with the radius set right down, and then uses a spring with the helix (string) as object A and the text as object B. I have it all set up so that when you play the animation, the letter drops down into the frame and dangles on the end of the string. It works fine apart from there being a lag between the rate at which the letter drops into the frame and the rate at which the end of the string drops into the frame, meaning that there is a gap between the end of the string and the letter for the first lot of frames, and then it catches up.

Any ideas on how to stop this lag from occurring?

Thanks,

Simon.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Spline Dynamics/Objects Dangling On String
on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:35:09 am

depends on how the attachment is done. It is probably priority of the expressions involved or possibly the priority you get in the OM (top to bottom). Can't tell without seeing it or knowing which tutorial you were referring to. I did a quick search trough there and for whatever it's worth all of the tutorials on that page (that I saw) are just links to other tutorials done by other people/groups- GreyScaleGorilla/Lynda etc.

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:47:23 am

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I started by following a tutorial called 'C4D Rope(Spline Dynamics) Tutorial | By TheJoekerism', but with this tutorial you are left with a piece of string that stretches to infinity with a pyramid attached to both ends. Is there a way to stop the string stretching to infinity? If there was then this method would work fine. I then found a tutorial by Emil1585 called 'Springs & Spline Dynamics in Cinema 4D'. This is the one I followed and it works ok apart from the flaw that I mentioned.

Having studied the animation very closely in the editor I have now noticed that as the letters/objects drop into the frame, there is a thin red line that fluctuates in length at the connection point between the string and the object. This red line represents the gap between the connection points, and it stretches longer as the letters first drop, then contracts again as they come to rest. It's as though the software knows that there is a gap occurring at the connection point. I've adjusted just about every setting a million times now and have all but given up. If you watch Emil1585s tutorial you can see that his version has the gap also during the tutorial, but is not evident in his final animation.

In the end I did give up but last night I found a very amateur way of wangling it to work. I chose a very chunky font for the letters (which Emil1585 uses as well, which may or may not be a coincidence), then buried the end of the string deep inside the letters and connected it using two points instead of one. It has worked, but I'd much rather know how to do it in a more controlled way.

I found a 3 part wrecking ball and chain tutorial last night which looks really good. I may give that one a try later.

Thanks again for your reply,

Simon.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:06:33 pm

found the original video - it's by EJ Hassenfratz of eyedesyn.com (as far as I can tell Emil1585 just uploads other peoples stuff and calls it his/hers (whichever)) - If I get some time I'll take a look at it see what's going on...

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:47:50 pm

Yeah I already knew that, I found the same tutorial myself on Vimeo and some other website. I just thought the 'E' of EJ Hassenfratz might have stood for Emil? I don't know. Anyway, that was the tutorial I followed.

Return to posts index

Cory Livengood
on Sep 16, 2015 at 7:11:08 pm

I know its been two years, but did you ever figure out how to solve this? I just ran into the same problem today with the red line and everything.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Simon Matthews
on Sep 17, 2015 at 11:14:45 am

Hi,

Well kind of, I just used a chunky font and buried the connection point inside the letter and also added an extra connection point closer to the edge of the letter, as I said in one of my previous posts. That's the only way I could get the letter to remain attached to the string without a gap appearing.

Best of luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]