MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Using MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron MooreUsing MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 5:55:43 am

I'm needing to fly through a field of plaques and awards and have already tried Particular in AE but not enough of a large scale of images and much too long a render time. I think that using a multishader in MoGraph might allow more control over the swarm of images. I'm really not sure how best to setup such a display.

Return to posts index

Craig WhitakerRe: Using MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:10:27 am

Ron,

How many images are you looking for? The MultiShader will allow you to populate a Mograph object with images from a folder, this is definitely the easiest and most straight ahead way of doing it. Setup your planes the way you want using a cloner, effectors, whatever. Then on the cloner object, apply a new material with MultiShader in either the color or luminance channel. Then when you try to add an image to that, it will ask "From Folder" which you can then navigate to folder in Finder. If you have a large amount of images, this is the easiest method. For a smaller amount of images, you could always setup your planes and camera move in 3D, then kick that file over to AE and do your screen replaces in comp. Problem with this method is that you need mattes for the screens and if you have a bunch of overlapping screens, generating mattes can sometimes be a challenge. You could try looking into the RPF format for rendering mattes as it can generate Object IDs for each object, not sure how that would handle a cloned object though.

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Ron MooreRe: Using MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images
by on Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26:23 pm

Craig,

Thanks for the info. I'm putting together a video promoting the video capabilities of our radio production team here at Entercom Kansas City. I imagine I'll have around 20 or 25 .png images of awards that I would like to clone to form maybe a cloud of 150 or so images that were still large enough to make out some of the words on the plaques, then move a camera through them. After all, I may just end up over in After Effects taking quick closeups at several of the awards and be done with it. But I thought the sheer scale of a MoGraph animation would be more dynamic, but when you get into multishaders that's a little above my pay grade. Anyway, I appreciate your taking the time to help and I'll definitely give your suggestions a go.

Return to posts index

Craig WhitakerRe: Using MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:00:51 pm

Ron,

The multishader isn't "above your pay grade" I promise, haha. Are the images all going to be square? All you need to do is prep your images (for the right aspect ratio) them drop them in a folder in Finder somewhere. Do you want the images to be affected by lights? If so, you're going to put them in the Color channel, if not, the Luminance channel. Give it a shot, if you get stuck, send me a scene file and I"ll take a look at it if you'd like.

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Ron MooreRe: Using MoGraph to form a drifting cloud of images
by on Mar 16, 2013 at 9:11:10 pm

Craig,

Unfortunately all those images are different dimensions, framed awards photos from our production department as well as descriptive single words, also framed, that I'd like to linger on with the camera and then move on through the montage. More and more this is sounding like an AE project to me. I may just use Video Copilot's Sure Target and take some quick closeups of clusters of the awards and words and call it a day. I'm definitely going to file that multishader technique away, though, for a more dynamic project where I have all same-size images. Thanks so much for your help. Over the years Creative Cow has pulled me through many many roadblocks in Cinema 4D and After Effects and I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]