MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

90-Degree Rotation at Random Intervals for Cloned Objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Pelkey
90-Degree Rotation at Random Intervals for Cloned Objects
on Mar 12, 2013 at 1:06:00 am

Hello all:

Here is the dilemma. I have a simple scene that clones a cube. What I'd like to do is to have the cloned cubes rotate 90 degrees at random intervals, and an arbitrary number of times. I'd also like to use a User Data slider to control the frequency at which the cubes rotate.

So, if I have 50 clones, they would individually, and at random intervals, rotate 90 degrees along the Y axis over N frames, and I could use my User Data to determine what percentage of the 50 cubes are being effected (therefore allowing me to keyframe the effect "off"). Imagine the cloned cubes randomly "twitching" at 90-degree intervals; that is the effect I'm looking for.

As mentioned above, I'd like the cubes to be able to make the 90-degree trip an arbitrary number of times, which seems to rule out plain/random effectors and pre-keyframed clones (I think?).

I'm somewhat familiar with Coffee/Python, and much more familiar with Xpresso, and I've attempted to achieve the effect with those methods, with little success. But I feel like the answer is there somehow, perhaps with a Coffee Effector or Xpresso iterator? In my mind, I see a function that rotates the object 90 degrees, and a function that iterates through the clones and picks random ones to apply the function.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
JP

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: 90-Degree Rotation at Random Intervals for Cloned Objects
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:44:25 pm

"snap" rotation of the cubes? Meaning it just jumps 90° with no transition time? If so (I think that's doable -with transition I think something stronger than xpresso is needed) always the same direction or are we showing the 4 faces randomly?

Return to posts index

Jesse Pelkey
on Mar 12, 2013 at 5:49:35 pm

Brian:

I would need a transition. I would probably use User Data to control the speed, or a random range amount to vary the speeds. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JP

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:09:53 am

sorry busy and distracted but if they need to be clones probably TP is best (generate with a Matrix object) because particles can be controlled individually. Do they need to be clones? Can you use clones made editable?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]