MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Sudden jump while using MoGraph deformers

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David FranklinSudden jump while using MoGraph deformers
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 2:03:12 am

Hi there,

So I posted a question yesterday, and got a great, easy answer. Hopefully I'll be as lucky today!

I've been using Mograph deformers on a plane to try and simulate a bent piece of paper which I'm using as a page in a book. I've tried both a Page Bend Displacer and a Spline Wrap. But in both cases, I'm finding a weird thing happening.

Once I get the deformer set up the way I want it, when I click on something else suddenly the entire plane twists 90 degrees in space. None of the coordinates change, but it's suddenly sticking off at an odd angle. If I hit undo, it goes back to where it was. It also happens when I move the camera in or out. One second it's looking fine, then zoom out, and SNAP, it's off at that 90° angle again.

Last night it was even happening when I put a hyperNURBS object on the page to try and smooth out the curves.

I'm out of ideas, so any help the group could offer would be very much appreciated.

project is here:

If you scroll down to "Page 1" which is a plane with several effectors on it, hopefully you can reproduce the problem...

Thanks, everybody!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Sudden jump while using MoGraph deformers
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 3:24:58 am

the displacers look fine here but the spline wrap can't be constructed that way, you can't have the spline and the spline wrap as a child of an object. You'd have to pull the spline out, place it as a child of the Page 1 bone and rotate that (not Page.1) to open - which can't be done right now due to the xpresso controling things...
To get the page to line up right along the spline like that (with it not a child of the page it's supposed to be deforming) I had to set the Spline Wrap to X (+ or -) and then set Banking to 90°

Return to posts index

David FranklinRe: Sudden jump while using MoGraph deformers
by on Mar 7, 2013 at 3:50:34 am

Thanks very much for taking a look, Brian. But I have the same problem if I move the spline all the way out. In fact, I have the same problem with putting a HyperNURBS on any of the top five pages (i.e. Page 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5). Try it, and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Any insight into why the sudden popping is happening? Especially since none of the coordinates seem to be changing? (i.e. Rotation, or spatial coordinates?)

I was even able to get it to freak out by pulling the entire page one with spline wrap out of the nest, moving it up to Y = 500 and then trying to engage the spline wrap. As soon as I move the camera, BAM, it rotates itself magically.

Very curious. And very frustrating. : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved