MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Using Sample Effector node to control a material's transparency?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Paterson
Using Sample Effector node to control a material's transparency?
on Mar 6, 2013 at 3:24:21 am

So I have a Shader Effector scaling some clones, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use these values to control the Transparency channel of a material using the Sample Effector Xpresso node

ie) When the clones are scaled down, their transparency is increased, and vice versa.

It seems like Sample Effector might only be useful for matrix transforms but there must be some way to get this info into a range of 0-100, yes?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
Re: Using Sample Effector node to control a material's opacity?
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:27:13 am

Sample effector could probably do this, but easier way would be to use the same shader effector to accomplish it. Just put the mograph color shader in the alpha channel.

Example: 5593_mographscaleandalpha.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:40:10 am

Sweet good tip. i would like to do it on the transparency channel however so that I can take advantage of the other settings like refraction etc. Any ideas on that?

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Mar 6, 2013 at 1:41:00 pm

Same thing as the other file; just copy the layer shader from the alpha channel to the transparency channel.

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:58:52 pm

Yep, of course. That would limit me from using other shaders on the Transparency though, no?

One of the goals of this question is to gain some insight into how the Sample Effector node works too. I don't need an example or anything, just wondering what sort of data I would need to output from the node to get a value of 0-100 for each clone, there are so many parameters available for output I'm a little lost. I feel like if I can understand this node I'll be using it all the time.

Return to posts index

Adam Trachtenberg
on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:50:00 pm

No, you could still use other shaders in transparency via the layer shader. In any case, you can only affect transparency via materials so any limitation will be there regardless of whether you use the effector directly or indirectly via Xpresso.

Basically the sample node works by sampling an effector and you would generally use it to drive non-mograph objects with mograph data ... because the effector can be applied directly if you're just dealing with mograph particles. That's not to say that it can't be used inside of mograph; I just can't think of a reason offhand to do it that way.

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:34:36 am

Aaaahh yes. It all makes sense now! Thanks so much for taking the time to help :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]