MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Sketch and Toon outlines - I'm going crazy here!

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ben waddleton
Sketch and Toon outlines - I'm going crazy here!
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:13:12 pm

Hey everyone - this one is driving me nuts!

I'm trying to draw the outline of a bunch of particles with sketch and toon but only the outline as seen by the camera - akin to drawing a stroke around the alpha of everything. At the moment the "outline" settings take into account whether or not the objects are overlapping each other which is not what I want.

I'm aware I could get this effect by exporting the alpha and using AE or similar to draw the stroke - but I don't want to admit defeat! surely this is possible in C4D?

any help greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Sketch and Toon outlines - I'm going crazy here!
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:44:12 pm

you need to use the Default Hidden slot in the S&T render settings Lines tab (or in the Sketch Style Tag if you are using that). Put the same sketch material you have set up for the outlines as is in the Default Visible slot and it should give you what you want.

Return to posts index

ben waddleton
on Feb 26, 2013 at 2:52:52 pm

Hey

doesn't seem to be working.. I'm probably doing something wrong - I've got everything unchecked except "outline" and I've copied what was in default visable into default hidden and I'm getting this result

what I'm trying to get is just the outline without that line "dissecting" the two spheres

as I say - probably user error!

Return to posts index

ben waddleton
on Feb 26, 2013 at 3:03:12 pm

success!

I've achieved it pretty much by accident - using the "clip render" on outside geometry

thanks anyways!

Return to posts index

Murilo Timo
on Nov 12, 2014 at 4:18:50 am

Please. can you explain it?

"clip render" on outside geometry?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:51:53 pm

The best way to get a combined outline of different objects is to use the Outline Culling setting in Render Settings/Sketch and Toon/Lines and set it to "Project" - just read somewhere this year that perfect spheres have a lot of limitations with S&T and need to be made editable to work reliably (and maybe triangulate them too).
That would have been the solution to Bens' original problem. His workaround is in the Render settings of the Sketch Material - Clip Render appears in there but try the Outline Culling first.

Return to posts index

Stuart Paciej
on Feb 3, 2015 at 3:56:34 pm
Last Edited By Stuart Paciej on Feb 3, 2015 at 4:00:08 pm

Hi I'm having similarly annoying results with outlines being unpredictable. It may be best for me to start a new post but I'll start here first if you don't mind.

I have a rigged character with S&T renderer. However the outline often breaks in places. I presume this is some kind of polygonal horizo where it doesn't see a full edge perhaps?

Any suggestions on how to get a guaranteed outline?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]