MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Best way to fill an object with smaller dynamic objects?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Paterson
Best way to fill an object with smaller dynamic objects?
on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:27:07 pm

I have a piggybank that I want to fill with coins. What is the best way to do this? Is there any way to emit dynamic objects from an emitter until it fills up and then do like a "set initial state" type thing and get rid of the emitter?

Any other techniques are also welcome. Right now Im taking a grid-cloner and letting them fall into place and trying to squeeze more in, trial and error. Just wondering if there might be a better way

Return to posts index

Dan Conrad
Re: Best way to fill an object with smaller dynamic objects?
on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:40:29 am

When you model the piggybank you'll want to set the Dynamics Tag to Static Mesh or Moving Mesh. Put another Dynamics Tag on the "coin" and not the emitter. See the example I posted.
5441_dynamicspiggybank.c4d.zip

@mographcandy

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:42:42 am

Ya, no I know all of that. I just don't want to see the particles emitting, wondering if there's a way to run the particles, and then save them in their completed state. I don't think there is though :(

Return to posts index

Dan Conrad
on Feb 13, 2013 at 3:59:18 am

Put your "coins" in a Cloner Object inside your Piggy Bank. Add a dynamics tag - set individual elements to all to the Cloner and let the animation run it's course. then "set initial state" in the Dynamics Tag of the coin at the settle state. Hope I understand you correctly.
5442_dynamicspiggybank2.c4d.zip

@mographcandy

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:07:16 am

I don't think you are understanding me correctly, thanks though. I am aware of how to do it with a cloner as stated in the first post, wanted to do it with an emitter specifically. Upon reflection it's a weird request. I appreciate you taking the time to help out!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Feb 15, 2013 at 4:33:31 pm

[Ryan Paterson] "Ya, no I know all of that. I just don't want to see the particles emitting, wondering if there's a way to run the particles, and then save them in their completed state. I don't think there is though :("

You can bake the dynamics and then use Current State to Object on either a Particle Emitter or a Cloner at the frame you want to save. This will create a separate object for each particle.

If you still want dynamics from that point you'll need to apply a dynamics tag either to the null that the objects are now inside of or (for added mograph functionality) nest the objects in a Fracture and apply the dynamics there.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:48:33 pm

Yup!! I actually just figured that out last night, but now it's here for the world to see. Thanks man!

Return to posts index

petertripp
on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:52:54 pm

Hi,
Not sure if you already got the answer to this, but if you're using version 12 of C4D, inside the dynamics tag there is now a button called 'set initial state.' I believe this is exactly what you're looking for.

Here's how to use it:
Make sure you're on frame 0 of your animation.

Set up your coins so they'll fall once you press play - in other words, place them a little above the surface you want them to fall onto.

Press play, and let them fall and scatter. Let it keep playing until they settle to a stop.

Click the 'set initial state' button. Now when you go back to frame 0, your coins should be sitting on the ground, or in your case, the inside of the bottom of the piggy bank's belly.

It's as easy as that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]