MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

convert an image with alpha to a polygon?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmet Reddyconvert an image with alpha to a polygon?
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 4:56:27 pm

Is there any way to convert a plane with an image attached i.e. a leaf with an alpha into a polygon. ? the reason i ask is i have to make a depth pass of my animation and i have a bunch of ivy leafs which are made of a polygon object with an image attached the problem is the depth pass will show the leaves as a square and not as the shape of the leaf. I hope this is clear and if anyone has a work around i would love to know, Thanks Emmet

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: convert an image with alpha to a polygon?
by on Feb 10, 2013 at 5:31:13 pm

I guess you're using a version prior to R14, because R14 finally takes alpha into account in the depth pass.

There is a workaround for prior version, but it can be a bit of a pain. Basically what you have to do is replace all of your materials with one that has pure white in the color channel and no phong shading. You would need to leave your alpha channels as-is.
Then, instead of using a depth pass, you would put an omni light at the camera position, check the ambient box in the general tab, set it's falloff to linear, and then set the falloff radius to whatever you want your depth radius to be. When you render you will in effect get an inverted depth pass that takes the alphas into account.

There are also several plugins that handle this situation but I don't recall their names.

Return to posts index

Emmet ReddyRe: convert an image with alpha to a polygon?
by on Feb 11, 2013 at 11:35:43 am

Thanks Adam i will look into that, and give it a try. Cheers Emmet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]