MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

General speed/upgrade enquiry.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DaviesGeneral speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 1:52:37 pm

I'm looking to speed up the viewport refresh/response in C4D, and am reading varying advice online. I was looking at a graphics card upgrade
soon but unsure of where this will help with C4D.

I am happy enough to cope with long render times and let these run over night or while I work on my other machine, it's just painstakingly slow (by the end of a full project) to look around my scene or even move the simplest of objects.

Current set-up:

Windows 7 x64
NVidia GT240

I know my GPU is way out of date and most likely never intended for anything like 3D work. I was hoping to stick a GTX 680 in there, due to recommendation for AE work, but will this help with the viewport activity in Cinema at all?

Any help appreciated,

Return to posts index

Dan ConradRe: General speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 4, 2013 at 10:23:03 pm

Did you simply try changing the "level of detail" in your viewport settings?@mographcandy

Return to posts index

John DaviesRe: General speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:56:34 am

Thanks Dan, I hadn't seen that before. That's helped a bit, but losing a lot of assets is a problem when the % drops too low, maybe that's only with the plug-ins I'm using. I can work with this for now though, thanks!

Return to posts index

yotam monkRe: General speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 5, 2013 at 2:18:37 pm

hi john
i am having the same dilema..
any insights so far?
i thought about the nvidia quadro 600
its around 150$
what do you thinck?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: General speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:21:36 am

Setting up some Layers should also help you. You can disable or solo specific layers in the viewport to speed up interaction. I don't actually do this all that often, but I really should :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: General speed/upgrade enquiry.
by on Feb 6, 2013 at 3:26:28 pm

Cinema doesn't have drivers to take advantage of quadro cards, so buying a quadro would be a waste of money. You're generally better off going with the fastest gamer-type card available. Last I checked the ATI cards were faster than nVidia, but I tend to stay away from them because of their sometimes balky OGL support.

In your case a processor upgrade would probably help, too. The cpu can be a bottleneck for editor speed, especially if you have a lot of Xpresso/TP going on.

Aside from that, there are other things you can do to speed up editor refresh:

* cache mograph and physics (and TP via mograph);
* if you have thousands of small objects that don't need to be separate objects, connect them into one object (makes a huge difference);
* take advantage of generators like hypernurbs that provide for separate viewport and render resolutions;
* turn off animation if you don't need to see the scene animating;
* use layer system and solo the layers you need;
* use render instances instead of geometry where possible (mogrqaph, TP);
* etc.

An ad firm wanted to hire me to optimize a scene they were having trouble with because they were having trouble navigating the viewport. I told them to select all their cloners and check the "render instances" box. Problem solved. Fortunately they had some other work for me. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved