MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Material Transition using a 3d mask

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellMaterial Transition using a 3d mask
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 12:22:03 pm

Hi - I've seen this technique in a few animations and promos.
The artists seem to be using a mask within the 3d application to transition from one material to another on the same 3d model.

Is it possible in c4d to do a material transition using a mask ?
If so how can the mask be animated to appear as if it is almost dripping or spilling (ie. so that the second material is being revealed more 'organically' as opposed to just being revealed with an animated rectangle or cube).

I've attached a screen shot of some examples - any feedback would be great.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Material Transition using a 3d mask
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:05:27 pm

I would do it by way of a layer shader in the alpha channel. The key is to animate the black/white clip of the noise shader that's acting as a layer mask between a white color shader and a black color shader.

Example: 5352_turbulentfade.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Material Transition using a 3d mask
by on Feb 1, 2013 at 11:42:35 am

Thanks so much Adam - thats great

Return to posts index

sean boweringRe: Material Transition using a 3d mask
by on Nov 25, 2014 at 6:26:31 pm

could you explain how to use this technique to reveal a different texture underneath? i'm struggling to figure out where that 2nd texture would go... many thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:42:25 pm

If you want to reveal a second material you would just put a second material on your object. You'll see that the new texture tag appears to the right of the original texture tag on the object. Drag the original material's tag (the one with the alpha channel) to the right of the other tag and you'll be good to go.

The texture tag's act as a basic layering system, with the bottom layer at the left and the top layer at the far right.

Return to posts index

sean boweringRe: Material Transition using a 3d mask
by on Nov 26, 2014 at 12:33:47 am

thank you that's great.

i'm trying to get the texture color to wipe across 3D objects as a transition, using an animated gradient instead of your animated noise. its incredibly hard to predict/control like this, is there an easier way to do this?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2014 at 4:55:36 pm

Another way you could try would be to animate the start/end parameters of a 3D gradient. It's not that tricky as long as you're okay doing it along one of the world axes. Can still be done if you want a more arbitrary path, but a little more involved.

In the example below I used a little Xpresso to help. Basically I just fed a number into the gradient x start position and then added 250 to that and fed that number into the end position. So moving the slider moves the gradient along World X.

Example file: 8235_texturewipe.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

by on Nov 27, 2014 at 5:04:46 pm

Here's another example, this time using the position of animated nulls to move the 3D gradient: 8236_texturewipenulls.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]