MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to animate something in a spiral with wind

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim AdamsonHow to animate something in a spiral with wind
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 5:37:59 am

Coming into solving this problem, I was pretty confident, and happy that my mathematics knowledge from high school would not go to waste. My initial thoughts on animating a cloth in a spiral went along the lines of animating the x and z wind values in out of phase sinusoidal curves along with some gravity or -y wind. I tried this but for some reason, the wind just sends my object in an ugly spiral off to the left of the scene. I have all the other values (eg. turbulance) set to zero except wind impact, wind strength and the animated values.

For the life of me I cannot understand why this happens, I thought the theory was simple enough that it should work without too many problems but it just doesn't do what I want it to. I was thinking of using a helix and doing the whole 'align to spline', but I'm not 100% sure how that would work with something I need to apply cloth dynamics to, along with the fact that I'm thinking it would not look as natural as something animated with the wind parameters.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: How to animate something in a spiral with wind
by on Jan 31, 2013 at 9:43:08 pm

seeing the file might help but no promises. My thought would be like yours, use a spline to get the flight path I want - then add randomness by whatever means would work in the situation

Return to posts index

Tim AdamsonRe: How to animate something in a spiral with wind
by on Feb 8, 2013 at 3:34:35 am

Sorry I've been so distracted...

Here's my project file, I cleaned it up a bit but it still might be a bit hard to navigate:
I used a tracer object to get a better idea of the path of the ribbon. I think this was also at a stage where I was ramping the wind up for each consecutive keyframe.

I have a feeling wind functions in a way that once the value is set at a certain keyframe, it needs so many more keyframes to actually accelerate to that rate and the amount of keyframes depends on the wind strength, etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved