MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How do I render "Depth" in cinema 4D?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren PlaceHow do I render "Depth" in cinema 4D?
by on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:28:20 pm

Hello. I'm working on a shot for a film that's causing a few issues.

Basically, The shot involves the subject stabbing the ice with a sword. The ice then shatters.

I've created a cinema 4D project of the ice shattering using Thrausi, and Rotoscoped the subject out in After Effects.

I need certain pieces of the ice to go behind the subject, and certain pieces to go in front.

I also need to feather the back end of the ice out to blend the 3D model in After Effects. Is there a way to render out two files of different pieces from cinema 4d?

Thanks, Darren

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Nicholas TothRe: How do I render "Depth" in cinema 4D?
by on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:38:31 pm

Not too tough to do...try this.

1.) Pull a depth pass of the shattering ice, from front to back.
2.) Adjust your levels to shift the location of the luminance matte
3.) Apply the matte to your render, essentially sandwiching the talent between the front and the back

But of course, there are a million ways to do things. If you upload an image of your depth matte I can show you how.

Return to posts index

Darren PlaceRe: How do I render "Depth" in cinema 4D?
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:13:13 am

Okay, I've rendered out a depth matte. I'm not sure if I've done it correctly though.

Return to posts index

Nicholas TothRe: How do I render "Depth" in cinema 4D?
by on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:30:59 am

Not calibrated properly.

That is a handy tutorial for pulling a depth map. However, only use a single value so it is either a front blur or a back blur; not both. Then there will be a gradient that starts in the front of the scene, and ends at the back. I'm uploading file(s) and an image to hopefully explain it...

I'm POSITIVE there are other ways to do this. We also use enDOFin, which is basically depth passes on steroids with many options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved