MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Align to Spline alignment

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony SipsasAlign to Spline alignment
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:31:17 pm

I have an ipad that I set up in C4D, and was looking to have it "fly" through the screen on a path (spline). I am approaching this using the spline Wrap deformer, but in doing so, I found some indescrepencies on the parts of the ipad in relation to the spline itself. (in other words the "screen" is floating separately than the rest of the ipad.

I need to have the screen separate though, cause i want to be able to swap it out as needed in AE after the fact. Also note that in the original model (prior to attaching it to the spline), the screen is in the proper place.

Any ideas on how to come around this problem? I believe its happening as C4D is calculating the screens tangent/proximity to the spline independent of the body of the ipad which is expected actually in this kind of set up. Im just not sure how to be able to have it all in one piece, and still be able to swap out the screen in AE. Any thoughts?

Picture A is the body of the IPAD:

Picture B is the SCREEN of the IPAD:

*** You can see how its sunk inside the geometry.

Picture C is the final composite in AE:

I do have the geometry of the screen separate as I want to be able to have an external composite on it. Im not sure of any other way to build this out. Any ideas?

My intention is to be able to animate the Ipad in the scene, and be able to "drop in the footage" of whats going to be on the screen as an after thought in After Effects.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Return to posts index

Tim ShetzRe: Align to Spline alignment
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 1:57:53 am

Without seeing your file, it seems to me that you would want to group all of your pieces in a null and use the Align to Spline tag rather than the deformer.

Can you post your file for us to take a look at?

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

Anthony SipsasRe: Align to Spline alignment
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:25:14 am

Although I cannot post the scene file, I can tell you Its a simple hierarchy.

Null> Ipad>Ipad (Parts)

IPad was built in pieces....Im not a modeler (just an animator), so I can connect the polys to a single object if needed, but not sure if the model will properly hold up everything If I do.

Like I tried to put stick texture tags on everything and one by one, connected polys until I had a single object, but I saw some texture issues which I dont even know how to begin to address.

Problem with Spline wrap, is you stick it under the object you want to affect, so its treating them separately. (body has its own spline wrap, while screen has a duplicate of the spline wrap) Which is why I expect whats happening to happen.

I guess what I am asking, is that if I connected all polys to a single object, would it be possible to add external compositing tags to just the screen polys without separating it to a separate object.

Im also noticing that align to spline has much less control that spline wrap...

Uggg....

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:41:22 am

Align to spline does have less control than spline wrap, but it also doesn't create the trouble you are having.

What control does spline wrap have that you need that align doesn't?

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:49:07 am

To bank on the spline for example. Im messing around with 'align to spline' and I dont see much control over this type of feature...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56:31 am

A little test I did...

cube = body
plane = screen

Not sure why yours would separate when you add the spline wrap

ipadSplineWrapTest

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:32:56 am

The other thing Id like to mention, is that this is a test that I am doing, which will eventually be multiple device animation (Possibly through the use of mograph) Im not sure how to get an array through mograph to follow (bank) with a spline, which is why im using the wrap instead. Is there a better way to approach this that I am not looking at?

Best-

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:11:07 am

No Luck, As soon as I throw the spline wrap on there, it get issues with the texture.

I can provide a screen shot of the hierarchy if that helps unfortunately, I cant post scene.....

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:44:53 am

In your original images, it looks like the geometry for the screen is in the wrong position.

If you delete the splineWrap does it go back to the correct position? Can you confirm that from all views? Meaning that it doesn't just look correct from the perspective view?

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:12:13 am

Ill take some screen shots when im back in work tomorrow. It looked fine before the spline warp though...

In the meantime, thanks for the help!

A

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:21:36 am

Sure thing...

Sometimes it is helpful to recreate what you are doing with simple objects to make sure everything is working (or not) like it should.

I'll be around tomorrow, so just post when you get a chance.

Goodnight.

Tim

Tim Shetz
c4dtraining.com

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Align to Spline alignment
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:20:04 pm

Tim is correct in saying that the spline wrap is the wrong tool for this job. It's trying to deform your object as well as move it along the spline, and that's why you're having problems. The only reason your object isn't bending is that you don't have enough geometry to allow it, but it's still moving the separate parts differently.

You can control bank with the align-to-spline tag by using a rail spline. To do that you basically copy your path spline and offset and scale it so that it forms a rail ... so your two splines look like railroad tracks. Then you can move the points of the rail spline up or down to control the bank of the object.

It may also be useful to use a target tag on the object instead of using the align tag's tangential feature. Generally what I do is align a null to the same spline, but offset ahead of the main object, and then target that object.

Yet another option would be to place your object in a cloner, set to use one clone, and then use a spline effector which gives you some of the numerical controls of the spline wrap deformer.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:13:33 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I was kinda wasting time, and should have started tests out in Mograph.
Set it up with a mograph cloner/spline effector. First time is a charm.

Everything works fine....

Next step:

How to get a different image in every screen (controllably, not random)...

heh,

A

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Align to Spline alignment
by on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:51:59 pm

To get the different images on the screens in Cinema:

1. Create a material and load in a Mograph color shader (in color or luminance channel);

2. Add all of your images to the multishader;

3. Set the multishader's mode to "index ratio";

4. Drop the material on your screen object.

If you want to do it in AE you're really better off putting the screen in its own cloner (just duplicate the setup). Otherwise you'll get a solid for every object making up the iPad ... plus the null they're in.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:00:20 pm

Thanks guys, you both rock!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]