MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Hypernurbs model size question....

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris GoslingHypernurbs model size question....
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:44:12 pm

In my never ending quest to find the best ways to model things I have run into a problem using hyoernurbs.

The model in question is a nasal spray bottle - previously I have used strictly polygon modelling, combinations of lathes, extrudes, bevels etc. I am now trying to do the same using hypernurbs. This is more of a "can I do it"/practice exercise, I haven't really made up my mind which way to go yet.

The question I have is – is there any way to see the correct size for hypernurb objects. Now what I mean by this is....

If I make an 8 sided cylinder with a diameter of 22mm to use as the base geometry for spray cap, when it is hypernurbified (verb for applying a hypernurb cage :-)) it becomes 19.986mm in diameter. Now I know that I can click on the hypernurbs tag and it will show the correct size, but that is the diameter for the whole object, if I need to model anything smaller (the tip for example) the I am up the creek because the real size is not available.

Any help would be appreciated

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Hypernurbs model size question....
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:26:39 pm

You can place a Correction deformer at the bottom of the HyperNURBs hierarchy to check sizes/locations of points on the smoothed surface. You just need to have the Correction deformer selected in point or edge mode. In this case you shouldn't do any of your edits to the correction deformer, it's just there to show you the structure you'd get if you made the HyperNURBs editable.

Update: the Correction deformer will show you the points based on the "Subdivision Editor" value on the HyperNURBs while making the object editable will use the "Subdivision Renderer" value. For this reason I recommend increasing your Subdivision Editor value to match your Subdivision Renderer value unless that becomes unwieldy.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris GoslingRe: Hypernurbs model size question....
by on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:09:51 pm

Thanx Darby,

A little bit of kludgy workaround - but it does work. Not really optimal for precise modelling tho'. I guess it will be easier to include an extra step of drawing an quick rough outline in illustrator and using that to base the shape on.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll find a use for the correction deformer for other things ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved