MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joey campbellStep Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:46:57 pm

Hi I'm having difficulty getting a step effector to work on a cloner object that already has a spline effector added to it.

I've attached a link to screen shots of all the elevant parameters. If anyone has come across this issue already any advice would be great.

http://joeycampbell.ie/step_issue.jpg

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 6:42:31 pm

I believe the problem is that you don't have your step effector set to DO anything. ;-)

Try checking one of the PSR boxes in the parameters tab.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 9, 2013 at 8:35:32 pm

[Adam Trachtenberg] "I believe the problem is that you don't have your step effector set to DO anything. ;-)"

I was thinking the same at first but then I noticed that it's set to a 46F Time Offset.

If your goal is to use the Step effector to offset the clone's transform animation you'll have to disable "Fix Clone" on the Cloner.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 10, 2013 at 6:03:03 pm

Hi - thanks for the feedback. I am using the step effector to cause a delay or lag in the cloned animations - hence the 46frames...Changing the 'fix Clone' button stops the spline effector from working however I've just realised that I needed to disable render instances for the step effector to work.

I have one final question - there is significant overlap in my clones and I would prefer if the clones alligned together so as to look smoother (see attached). Could this be caused by my cloned objects pivot point or do I need to factor something else into the mix ? Any help would be appreciated. Here is the screen shot:

Thanks
Joey

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:13:39 am

if you use a Spline Wrap instead of a spline effector it can deform the clones along your spline rather than just placing them along the spline (assuming you have enough subdivisions along the right axis of the object to deform enough)

Return to posts index

joey campbellRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 16, 2013 at 1:59:00 pm

Hi Brian (or anyone) - any idea why the spline wrap works on some splines but looks warped on some others ? I've also noticed that it tends to curve along straight (90 degree) spline parts....is there anyway around these two issues ?

I've attached a link to my WIP:
http://f1.creativecow.net/5230/issue-with-overlapping-using-cloned-swep-nur...

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Step Effector Issue on a cloner with a spline effector applied to it
by on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:23:45 am

I'm not seeing anything I don't expect to see, I don't understand the warping you mention. Unless you mean the overlapping on the 'G', that can't be fixed if you use a single spline that has too tight a corner like that without using two splines for the G one to do the outside and one to do the part that goes inward, it would just have to be times to start as the outerpart finishes. Nice build BTW

Return to posts index

by on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:19:47 pm

I got this sorted...eventually..thanks for all the help.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:24:36 am

glad to help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]