MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cross Section question

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapmanCross Section question
by on Jan 2, 2013 at 4:11:49 am

I'd like to use near clipping (within camera settings) to achieve the same effect as you would get when cutting an object in half with a Boolean. A boolean object gives me a new object that looks like it's got inner mass.

Near clipping enabled gives me a nice easy cross section of objects.....but the result is always geometry that looks like it's paper thin with no inside mass. Is there a way to see the thickness/inner mass of an object while using near clipping? I don't want to use Booleans for everything because they tend to be problematic in other ways...

Or is there another way to achieve nice efficient cross sections of objects without having this "hollow" looking geometry?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Cross Section question
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 6:00:24 am

since geometry is always "hollow" (at least with a Near Clip - I think it would just be too difficult - time consuming - to have to be aware of every point inside a volume) I think you have to deal with booleans. I think you want the objects to be solid (rather than hollow but with thicker walls)? You might want to look at rBoole here - it does booleans with the alpha channel rather than with geometry like the built in boolean so you don't get the problems with rendering artifacts that you can get with standard booleans

Return to posts index

dean chapmanRe: Cross Section question
by on Jan 6, 2013 at 3:36:04 am

Thank you Brian,

I'm using the plug in now, and it helps for sure.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved