MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Industrial theme lighting advice?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Straher
Industrial theme lighting advice?
on Dec 28, 2012 at 3:54:31 am

Hi for a couple days now I had a idea to replicate a picture I ran across on the internet. Which is a industrial warehouse building from the picture down below.

What I really like about it is the lighting in the picture. I would like to use this warehouse to take render snap shots,and maybe even animation when I get the chance to. So I decided to create a rough draft of warehouse that looks somewhat like the picture. Now the problem I have is getting the lighting close or exactly right. I'm not great with lighting in Cinema 4D. Which is my weakness. I can normally do ok with one light on a one object. But I can never get multiple lights to look good together. Let alone trying to replicate this picture.

For this type of picture. Should I use "Light Objects" or should I use boxes with a Luminance texture over the boxes to create the lights? Right now in the picture I've use long rectangles with a Luminance set to 590% on brightness. I also noticed that there isn't any shadows on the ground. So I guess I need to use a "Light Object" to do shadows with lights?

I know the picture is nowhere near the first picture I've posted but this is the closest I got. Over the past few days I've been googling information on how to do "Professional" lighting, and been watching some how to videos. It has helped me for other stuff I can do down the road but it hasn't further my progress on the warehous scene.

These are the settings I have for the project. Any help or advice you guys have to maybe enhance the lighting, and the shadows to replicate the main picture better?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Industrial theme lighting advice?
on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:56:15 am

it looks the real warehouse has windows not lights in the ceiling - at least it looks like that due to the sharp light patches on the floor. I would try windows with an Infinite Light above (to simulate sunlight - or a Sky object with a sun perhaps) with no GI just to see what kind of light patches you get on the floor then adjust GI to see if if you can get the right sort of effect - a sky might be better since you need light coming in from the doors to get it like the picture...

if it does have lights (not windows) I'd try square spots (or even omnis) to try and get the light patches on the floor right and only turn on GI after that

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 29, 2012 at 8:23:13 am

I think Brian is spot on about those being windows rather than lights.

You could set up a Physical Sky for this, which would give you the benefit of a controllable sun light and sky light.

My guess is that in order to get reasonably good lighting in this environment you'll need a combination of some sort of sky light as well as Global Illumination with a Diffuse Depth of 2 or 3 (any more than 3 would be overkill).

Here are some samples of various GI settings with a Physical Sky and a very simple warehouse model with a uniform gray texture.

No Global Illumination (Render Time: 3 seconds):

Global Illumination (Diffuse Depth: 3, Render Time: 21 seconds):

Global Illumination (Detail Enhancement enabled, Diffuse Depth: 3, Render Time: 47 seconds)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Emil Straher
on Dec 29, 2012 at 3:41:21 pm

Hmm never thought about the first picture might have windows in the ceiling. I'm going to have to try that out. Since today I'm cooped up in my room with snow blocking me in I guess I'll give it a shot. I'll give you guys a report when I try a those idea's out.

Return to posts index

Emil Straher
on Dec 29, 2012 at 7:54:42 pm

Brian Jones: Well I've tried your ideas first to see what it can do. After I tried windows with an Infinite Light above. It wasn't showing light or no shadows inside the warehouse. I tried setting the intensity of the lights brighter, and the density to 500% to see atleast some type of change. Nothing.

After messing with the different lights for 2 hours from omni, infinte, and area nothing was really changed. or nothing compare to the second picture I've showed inside Cinema 4D in my first post. Then I tried the square spots in the ceiling seeing if it needed windows or not. Even then it acted like it was one big blob of light no matter what I've changed.

Darby Edelen: I'm curious what type of light did you use in those samples? Also wondering how high is your light from the warehouse itself. I've tried your idea to with the Global Illumination, Detail Enhancement enabled, and Diffuse Depth. It did slightly change my render but nothing to a big degree with the problem already at hand.

So started a new project to see what I can change different with the lights/shadows from my first project. After messing around with the windows cutout from the ceiling I tried 9 Grayscalegorlla's overhead softboxes over the warehouse. (3 in the middle, and 3 on either side of the warehouse.) Also made the floor Luminance to 28% because the room was still getting no light inside at the time. After using the softboxes it finally started to show shadows back in the warehouse but looks horrible.

Layout of the lights

The render

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:32:04 am

[Emil Straher] "Darby Edelen: I'm curious what type of light did you use in those samples? Also wondering how high is your light from the warehouse itself. I've tried your idea to with the Global Illumination, Detail Enhancement enabled, and Diffuse Depth. It did slightly change my render but nothing to a big degree with the problem already at hand."

The examples I posted were all using only the Physical Sky which is found under Create > Physical Sky > Physical Sky. You'll need to mess with some of the attributes of the sky to get the result you want.

Changing the time of day and location on the planet will affect the Sun light's position. This can essentially be thought of as a very distant Area light. It's what's casting the light through the windows.

Read up on the Physical Sky object in C4D's help system.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 30, 2012 at 12:52:11 am

[Emil Straher] "Infinite Light above. It wasn't showing light or no shadows inside the warehouse"

The Infinite light only shines along it's Z axis so it has to be pointed the right direction

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 30, 2012 at 8:53:20 pm

5138_gitrial.c4d.zip

the model's not big enough probably and not quite the right proportions but it's part way there.

Return to posts index

Emil Straher
on Dec 31, 2012 at 8:57:46 am

O wow. I didn't think you might tinker with it. After looking at your file I can see some things I could do but haven't actually sat there to look at all the stuff you have done to it yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]