MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

loft Nurb caps invisible

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randal Shawloft Nurb caps invisible
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 6:46:30 am

I'm a newbie to 3D and have just started using Cinema4D 11.5. When I create a loft Nurb with spline objects the start and end caps are invisible but are selected in the caps tab. My splines are connected linear a b-splines. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I have been trying to sort the issue out for some time with no success. Ran

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: loft Nurb caps invisible
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 3:48:09 pm

if you selected Loop in the Loft settings you would not have caps at all

Return to posts index

Randal ShawRe: loft Nurb caps invisible
by on Dec 26, 2012 at 7:19:56 pm

The Loft setting is not selected. All my nurbs have caps except when I use a spline that uses different spline types connected. It just will not put a cap on.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 26, 2012 at 7:21:16 pm

how did you connect the two splines?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 27, 2012 at 5:12:12 am

or did you mean connected because they are both in the Loft Nurb? It should not matter what type the splines are in that case, you should still get caps.

The only other thing I can think of, at the moment, that will kill the caps is if the splines are not Closed.

If it's not either one of those I'd have to see the scene file.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:59:24 am

Thanks Brian. The splines have been snapped together then grouped and connected. Still no caps. How can I send you the file as this is frustrating as I am spending so much time just trying to create one shape I am after.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:08:44 am

attach the file using the File Upload button in the compose page

follow that through to upload your file it will give you a link - copy and paste that back into your post

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:28:34 am

Thanks. I've attached the file. Any suggestions on best how to created the object I am after would be greatly appreciated as I would be working with similar object regularly. Struggling some what with C4D as my only previous 3D experience is sketch up.

Randal

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:29:04 am

each of the splines is made of 3 splines you have connected but not actually joined together (the 'sharp' corners all have two points) so the spline can't be closed (well, you can close it but each separate part of the spline closes on itself).
If you select the 2 points at a corner and do a "Join Segment" (in the Mesh/Spline menu) you get a rounded curve since that point now becomes the spline default of B-Spline. Do that for one of the other sharp corners and part of the spline disappears (but you get it back if you Close the spline).
To get the 'sharp' corners back while keeping the B-Spline shape of the curved section you have to Chamfer the sharp corners (just a bit so the result will still be pretty sharp) - which turns the spline into a Bezier spline but you just have to turn it back into a B-Spline and you are done.

5128_splinesfix.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:35:45 am

Thanks Brian.

I'll give it a go. I can not give open splinefix file is an unknown format. I'm running CD411.5.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 7:52:08 am

ahh, I'm running 14. If you can't get it to go I'll do it again in 10 or 12 (whichever you can load) - I never owned 11/11.5 - but it's pretty easy.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:11:43 am

Still struggling. How do you close the spline?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 8:18:39 am

It's a check box in the spline's settings

Return to posts index

by on Dec 28, 2012 at 10:36:06 am

Simple solution. Thanks for your support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]