MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Ugly Dark Shadow While Changing Lights Intensity. (Multiplied?)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay ingles
Ugly Dark Shadow While Changing Lights Intensity. (Multiplied?)
on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:46:23 pm

I've run into this problem a couple times and never understood how to properly resolve it.

I am using 2 lights to create a soft shadow from an object in a white 'limbo' environment. There are more lights in the scene but by systematically switching them on/off i can narrow the problem down to 2 area lights.

When the intensity of another light is changing, for some reason the shadows are intensly dark for a couple frames. As if they are being multiplied together.

I could go into more detail, but not sure if it's relevant.
Please let me know if you have any ideas what this is from.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Ugly Dark Shadow While Changing Lights Intensity. (Multiplied?)
on Dec 18, 2012 at 1:47:09 am

what version of C4D? If it's 14.034 I'd submit to Maxon Support if not can you post the scene?

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:34:34 pm

Hi Brian,

It's something to do with one light having a "physically accurate fall off". In the image below i've notated which that is. "Camera MAINFINAL" is the angle of interest. I've simplified the scene by removing what i can for a variety of reasons.

Notice frames around 210 create the hard shadow but returns to normal shortly after. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:03:58 pm

without the scene it's hard to tell as I can't see the orientation of the light or tell what shadows you have set.
Are they area shadows to match the area light? If not, what?
Rectangle Area lights do have a dark line that separates the one face of the light from the other face (at least with the default Falloff Angle of 180°) but in the normal orientation (one face aimed in the general direction of what is being lighted) you never see it

Return to posts index

jay ingles
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13:13 pm

My mistake, i thought i provided the link last post.
Here it is:

5102_v3rebuildforum3.zip

Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:27:13 pm

the problem only seems to be with the "shadow-centre" light since it is the only one of those three upper lights that has no falloff, as soon as all three are set to Falloff None or Inverse Square (accurate or clamped) the over darkness goes away. It may be a problem with the mixing of Falloff None and Inverse Square, I don't see any mention of it in a quick scan of the Falloff section of the help. It could be worth a submit to Support but I would just change shadow-centre's falloff for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]