MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Rocket Launch Smoke Effect

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam ZygadloRocket Launch Smoke Effect
by on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:50:37 pm

Hello everyone,

Is there anyway that Cinema 4D can simulate a smoke effect similar to a rocket blasting off from it's launch pad?

Would I need to use another software, or a 3rd party plugin for the desire effect? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Adam

Image attached for reference:

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915
http://www.jarbrain.com
'Filled with brainy goodness.'

Return to posts index

Rasmus GernerRe: Rocket Launch Smoke Effect
by on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:02:02 am

Short answer. Of course,
Particles in Cinema 4D is easy to lean hard to master.
You can use the standard build particle system to get a quick and easy result or you can do it with thinking particle to gain more control and complexity to the fire/smoke.

If you have never done something like this.
There is only few from cinema to begin,
1. Particle emitter
2. Environment
3. Volume tracer
4. Pyrocluster
You will find 3. and 4. in the material tap.
If you have more questions feel free to ask I am happy to help.

Return to posts index

Adam ZygadloRe: Rocket Launch Smoke Effect
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:22:15 am

Hey Rasmus,
Sorry for the late reply, I should have mentioned in the first post that I were considering the use of Pyrocluster to simulate the desire look and effect and produced some experiments with the particle emitter this week and find it hard to control the particles.

For example, the particles pushes down to the ground away from the rocket, The smoke pushes along the ground and then rises up slowly while it increases in size and fades, etc.

So in the Cinema 4D, I moved the main emitter above the floor pointing downwards, placed an attractor emitter at the base of the ground to push the particles away from each other and then placed a wind emitter under the ground to lift the particles up.

I am getting to the desire effect but it's pretty hard to control the particles as I'm having patches in the smoke. As you mentioned, it's 'easy to lean but hard to master.'

Is there any way to have more control like the direction? I can provide the project file, to show what's I've produced so far.

Thanks for replying,
+Z

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915

Return to posts index

Rasmus GernerRe: Rocket Launch Smoke Effect
by on Dec 12, 2012 at 9:19:56 am

It is nice to see how you progress but it do not sound like you are using TP.
With Thinking particle you get way more control. So if you have a scene with the spaceship platform/stage thingy I would be happy to take a look. I am not much good with the pyrocluster. Actually having some problems with it myself at the moment. Yet I think should be able to get you going in terms of the particle system itself.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:45:00 pm

I read up that Pyrocluster isn't really great to animate with, however I just need one still image and Photoshop the other assets like rocket, etc.

Here's a screen grab of the smoke so far.

As you can see from the example, the core looks good enough but the lifting part isn't really rising up to the desire effect. I can share the project and how I approached it so far, that's if you are interested to see; what is your main touch details?

I'll have a look at the thinking particles technique, but I've a funny feeling that it's for animating which could be handy but not this time around.

Thanks,
+Z

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915

Return to posts index

by on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:58:59 pm

Hey Rasmus,

I thought I share this as you helped out and see the effort gone into this idea - [Click here to view it]

Thank you very much!
+Z

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915

Return to posts index

John RockstadRe: Rocket Launch Smoke Effect
by on Dec 4, 2012 at 6:21:21 pm

If you're using the Studio version of Cinema 4D you have access to the PyroCluster module, which is intended for exactly these kind of effects. Essentially you create a particle emitter with a special PyroCluster shader and another object to act as a container for the effect, typically an Environment object in the most common scenario, which you then apply the PyroCluster Volume Tracer shader to. It's pretty easy to get started with if you know a bit about particle systems already, but approaching an effect such as in the picture is definitely going to take some time if you haven't really done this kind of work before.

The popular third-party solutions for volumetric / fluid effects are TurbulenceFD, DPIT Effex, and the reigning king of fluid simulators, RealFlow. These of course come with the usual tradeoffs of being more expensive (assuming you already have access to C4D Studio) and complex but with a greater degree of flexibility and power. Whether these are worth it really depends on what you're going for, how much time you have to put into it, and how much of this kind of work you foresee doing in the future.

In any case, it's definitely best to start out with PyroCluster and see how it works out for you before diving into anything else.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 12, 2012 at 3:29:29 am

Hey John,
As I said with Rasmus' comments; I should have mentioned in the first post that I were considering the use of Pyrocluster to simulate the desire look and effect by experimenting with the particle emitter. Even it's close to the desire effect but I find it hard to control the particles and where they float in CGI space.

I had a look at DPIT Effex and Realflow before posting this thread and I can see more control and power but as you highlighted, it comes with a (expensive) price, which at the moment I cannot justify for plugins and software. lol

Guess I'll have a further experiment with the main particle emitter and other emitters to get the desire look, thank you so much for replying.

All the best,
+Z

Adam Jozef Zygadlo
Motion Graphic Designer

07708 124 915

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]