MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando La MattinaCell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)
by on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:25:48 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to the site and was looking for some help in order to aquire a smoke effect similar to the one shown here:

Check out speccially at minute 2:00. That's the kind of smoke i'm looking for.
I know a few basics when it comes to cinema 4d, but it looks quite a challenge for someone at my currents level, so i'd appreciatte every step by step explanation.

Thank you and have a great day!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Cell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)
by on Nov 29, 2012 at 4:54:40 am

The main way to do smoke in Cinema, without plugins, is to use Pyrocluster shaders. AFAIK there's no direct way to render it with a toon look, but you could use the Filter function in the picture viewer ... but that would affect the whole render.

Another option would be render out an environment pass which would just include the smoke, and then posterize it in post.

Here's a crude example using the picture viewer filter: 5009_smokeposterized.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Fernando La MattinaRe: Cell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)
by on Dec 1, 2012 at 9:54:38 pm

So far the closer I got to something similar is using spheres inside an emitter instead pyrocluster, and then applying the sketch and toon render settings with some tweaking, but still not happy with the results. Look at this:

They are EXACTLY the kind of smoke I'm looking for, but unfortunately they were made with Blender instead of Cinema 4d (now if Blender can do it, then Cinema should obviously be able to do it too right?)

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Cell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)
by on Dec 1, 2012 at 11:37:39 pm

the vimeo link is just spheres (with random sizes) and the texture os not toon shading it looks more like Cheen Cartoon in the Prime Materials set (it's not that but that's more like it - sharp color changes but some soft gradient shading as well)

The second looks like a more classic toon shader and once again with random sphere sizes but this time the spheres are being displaced by a noise (probably) and are rotating in random directions as well.

Return to posts index

Fernando La MattinaRe: Cell shaded smoke (or toon smoke)
by on Dec 2, 2012 at 12:17:25 am

Thank you for the quick answer, I'll try anything of that as soon as I get some time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]