MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Shader Effector Problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapman
Shader Effector Problem
on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:15:58 am

I have a Cloner, cloning a bunch of rectangular objects onto an Object (a cube, segments:35x10x35)

I have a Shader Effector, effecting the Cloner Object.

On the Shader Effector, I have Visibility Checked and I have a gradient set to 2d-Circular.

The Shader leaves a big circular void in the middle of my Cloner Object.....Which is what I want.

My problem is that the Shader doesn't just make a hole in the middle.....it seems to get rid of a bunch of other clones...specifically within the Y-axis.....I don't get why this is happening. I just want a simple Hole in the middle.

If this sounds confusing, I've attached an image and my project file.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

5000_shadereffectorproblem.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Shader Effector Problem
on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:32:45 pm

without referencing an actual shader (totally ok) I think it must use UVW as a default mapping so in this case the ends/sides get shaded as well. If you change your gradient to 3D Cylindrical instead and place it in the center of the big cube (I got close using 0,0 X 0,100 Y and 1000,1000 Z in the 3DCylindrical settings). That's ok if all this stays still, if the big cube moves in space you'd have to use a shader on that and reference that instead.

Return to posts index

dean chapman
on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:02:07 pm

Hey Brian, thanks for the tips.

I'm still running into some issues...
I took your advice and used 3D Cylindrical and setting the X,Y,& Z (next to Start/End within 3D Cyl Settings). I had to increase the radius quite a bit to get the hole in the middle of the Cloner group. But I still get a hallowing out of clones within the shape....I've attached some pics, it's very apparent when i invert the alpha. Am I following your advice correctly, or did I screw something up?

Also, I'm not sure what the process is in regards to your alternative solution. If it's not too much trouble, could you walk me through those steps?

Thanks again,

Dean

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:56:41 am

you'd have to use the cloner in Grid mode to get a volume evenly filled with the small cubes.

The texture tag method is easy. Copy the circular gradient in your shader effector and put it in the Color channel of a material and place that material on your big cube, now in the shader effector Shading tab/Channel change from Custom Shader to Color and drop the texture tag on the cube from the object manager into the Texture Tag slot in the shader effector (that just appeared). Should be the same as the custom channel method but now you can change the texture tag to Flat and move/scale/rotate the Texture axis around to get what you want. You can also use this on the Cloner itself - it will color all the clones but the effect on the cloner is the important one and you can add another texture on top to color the clones since the effector is only listening to the one texture tag (or drop a texture on the cube being cloned - either way)

Return to posts index

dean chapman
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:12:06 am

Thanks Dude!

-d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]