MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Approaching a Wedding Cake

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonApproaching a Wedding Cake
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:48:36 am

Hi CC,

So the wedding cake is a hypothetical primitive shape, but it suits the purpose for explanation.

A wedding cake is three cylinders stacked on top of each other in smaller size per object. I understand that one could start out with the circles and extrude them out from flat but what I mean to ask is different. Like if I had 3 ornately detailed, already assembled pieces of this cake and needed to attach them together how would I go about it?

What is the best way to attach objects in space so they dock and lock in perfect x/y/z math?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Approaching a Wedding Cake
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:46:05 am

How perfect is perfect in this case? I'd recommend aligning them in your orthographic views (front and top for example) and grouping them under a null.

An alternative might be moving the axis center of the object to the point at which you want it to attach and then move it using the snap settings of the move tool to snap to an edge/poly/point on the other object.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Approaching a Wedding Cake
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:35:09 am

Okay, cool. So it sounds like eyeballing it using snap settings is a common way to coordinate objects in space, right?

I know that sounds like a dunce question. It's just that there's so many tools used to build a relief of sorts. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a more professional or more suitable way that people use to combine objects that I might be missing.

Thanks Darby! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved