MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Getting rid of frayed and jagged edges in 3D animation

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Beesems
Getting rid of frayed and jagged edges in 3D animation
on Nov 15, 2012 at 3:42:40 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a job for a Dutch customer, and I'm having some problems rendering out as you can see in these images:

Picture viewer in C4D
http://tinypic.com/r/15xlnv5/6

Final render in VLC (quicktime, animation setting, 720p)
http://tinypic.com/r/e7i39e/6

This is my first project in C4D, but I'll try and provide some background info. I imported the logo from Illustrator, created NURBS from the outlines, turned these into polygons and animated a camera around it.

I could upload the clip itself, but I thought the images might already give some of you an idea as to what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts on how I can smooth these edges and get rid of the jagged sections and the weird noise around it?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Return to posts index

alex shackleton
Re: Getting rid of frayed and jagged edges in 3D animation
on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:02:25 pm

hi dude

try this, go to your render settings and in the anit aliasing tab change it from geometry to best.

That should do it.

Return to posts index

Sam Beesems
on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:04:38 pm

Did that already, now pumping out a render with a min of 8x8 and a max of 16x16 in the anti-aliasing settings. Could it have something to do with the alpha channel?

Return to posts index

alex shackleton
on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:17:20 pm

i looked at the images again and it looks really odd, just the standard settings from cinema should produce those fuzzy lines... the only thing I can think of is the spline path.

try making a rectange spline in cinema and extruding it, and rendering with the same settings and see if you get the same results.

Return to posts index

florin cosmin
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:12:06 pm

export the images as tiff in Photoshop and then save them as JPEG...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Nov 15, 2012 at 8:37:24 pm

Most likely the alpha channel.. Are you going to composite this logo onto other footage? I wouldn't worry too much about the edges until you do that. Then see if you still notice the edges. Sometimes the player (VLC, quicktime, etc) will show weird edges around alpha channels, especially depending on the type of alpha (straight vs. pre-multiplied).

8x8min and 16x16 max seems like waaayy overkill to me for something like this. From what I understand about C4D rendering, your basic geometry setting or even 2x2,4x4 should provide acceptable results for this logo.

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 18GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 12
AE CS5 (10.0.2.4)
FCP 7.0.3
QT 7.6.4

Return to posts index

Sam Beesems
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:15:06 pm

First and foremost, thanks for helping out! Secondly, I figured it out. It has to come down to one of these two things: I changed an export setting from cubic image to Gauss (animation) and decided to check off straight alpha channel. And now, it works! I've got some incredibly crisp 3D footage to boot.

So, once again: thanks for the help, and consider my question answered!

Sam

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:30:36 pm

[Sam Beesems] "check off straight alpha channel."

This was your problem.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]