MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

problem with hair thickness map..

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay dunnproblem with hair thickness map..
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:55:15 am

I'm trying to make some lines trail off an object using the hair module. I want the thickness of the hairs to fade in and out (left to right) to give the illusion of movement, but I'm having a problem pluging a noise texture into my hair. It works fine when my hair runs perfectly straight along the Z axis, but when the hairs bend, everything gets messed up. I can't figure out how to push a streaky noise map through the thickness attribute. (I believe it has to do the way my noise is mapped onto the hair).

In the example below, i show my animation how i like it, and then I throw in some turbulence at the end, which bends my hairs and then my thickness attribute goes all nuts.

desired look:

undesired result when hairs bend:

video clip

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: problem with hair thickness map..
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 4:07:19 pm

Try setting the Texture space in the noise shader to UV (2D).

Return to posts index

jay dunnRe: problem with hair thickness map..
by on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:22:09 pm

ok well that works, but then I lose the left to right streaky movement along the profile of the hairs. I'd like for the hairs to be tapered and slide along the hair splines. When i change the texture space to UV (2D), the movement attribute becomes deactivated.

I can use animate noise, but that changes the hair thickness globally along the entire length of the hair, so i lose my tapered left to right look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved