MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Unwanted movement between keyframes of the same value.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabio de la RochaUnwanted movement between keyframes of the same value.
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 1:53:42 pm

Hi,

This is probably one of those frequent questions that gets everybody's eyes rolling, but I've searched everywhere for the answer and I've yet to find an answer.

I have two keyframes of equal value separated by 10 frames (in case you're interested, the keyframes control are camera position on a spline). Naturally I want my camera to ease in and out of position, however if I set my keyframes to anything other than linear (and unless I select "clamp") there is some unwanted camera motion between the keyframs - it 'bounces'.

This is an issue I remember having way back when I first got into After Effects. I long since how to deal with that, but I can't figure it out in C4D.

I realise that the long term solution is to better understand the timeline in C4D, however I really need a quick fix.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dell Precision T3400/Core2duo 2.66GHz/4GB/Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 Running Avid Media Composer 3.0/CS3/C4d

17" HiRes unibody MacBook Pro 2.66/4GB running CS3/FCS2

Return to posts index

John RockstadRe: Unwanted movement between keyframes of the same value.
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 3:35:02 pm

Take a look at the F-curve graph in the timeline, you'll probably find some over/undershoot between those keyframes. From here you can just drag the handles on the keyframes to straighten them out, but the more precise method is to go into the keyframe attributes, deselect Auto Tangents, then change the Left / Right Value on each to 0.

Hope that helps!

John

Return to posts index

Fabio de la RochaRe: Unwanted movement between keyframes of the same value.
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:15:32 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Trying to do it right, therefore I've been looking at the kayframe attributes. I had assumed that if I want a keyframe to ease in but not ease out, I would set Left Value to, say, 5% and then right value to 0%, however when I change one, the other automatically changes too, i.e when I alter the left value (for either 'Time' or "Value') the right one alters accordingly.

Am I missing something obvious?

Dell Precision T3400/Core2duo 2.66GHz/4GB/Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 Running Avid Media Composer 3.0/CS3/C4d

Return to posts index

Fabio de la RochaRe: Unwanted movement between keyframes of the same value.
by on Nov 8, 2012 at 5:34:16 pm

Ah - nailed it. Select "Break tangents". I also found that tinkering with the F curve gave me good reference info for selecting an appropriate percentage in the 'Value' field. It was important for me to go in and tidy things up in the keyframe attributes box though, since I have two different splines controlling my camera - position and target. I needed these to match velocity.

Above ramble for the benefit of anyone else who might run into this.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]