MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Adding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ollie JamesAdding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 5:15:07 pm

Hey guys I'm new to modelling and texturing. I'm currently texturing a model of a building I modelled earlier. As the title says, the maps I'm applying the texture editor are not making a difference. I have had to set the materials all to 'Cubic' rather then the default 'UVW Mapping' in order to for the textures to tile and in some cases to adjust the size of the material so that its not massive.

Heres a comparison of the model with just the Diffuse v Defuse, Normal, Specular and Displacement:

http://i.imgur.com/NXZ4y.jpg

Now that I look at it, the one with the maps looks a tiny tiny bit lighter, thats the only difference though.

Here's how the maps look in CrazyBump:

http://i.imgur.com/uDyuJ.png

^ That looks so awesome! How can I get it too look this good in Cinema4D?

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Adding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 8:48:49 pm

there's too much we don't know, Displacement will only work with that much detail if the object (window) is subdivided enough and if SubPoly Displacement is enabled, Bump in an image like that will be pretty quiet and Normal depends entirely on what the normal image you are using is. And it's all dependant on the lighting as well. Can you post the scene (and images) or at least a strip down of the window?

Return to posts index

Ollie JamesRe: Adding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?
by on Nov 4, 2012 at 9:24:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! I have deleted all the other textures in the scene to bring the file size down, I have left everything else untouched. I have included the 4 maps in the .zip too:

4908_buildingandmapscow.zip

Thanks,
Ollie

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Adding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:52:05 am

It looks like you have the "Ambient Illumination" checkbox enabled on your only light. With that enabled you won't see any Diffuse or Specular lighting. Without specular lighting there's no way to see a normal map's effects. Try unchecking that box or adding another light.

Also you won't get good results trying to use Displacement on a single polygon.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ollie JamesRe: Adding Normal, Specular and Displacement Maps to my model are not making a difference to the render?
by on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:49:01 am

I love you. Thank you so much! Just unchecking that box and upping the strength on the materials did the trick. Another way to see if things are working is to simply turn off the colour/diffuse map and rendering. If the other maps are working you'll see the normal/specular on the model.

Once again, thank you so much.

Ollie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]