MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

more geometry to layer

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joel corwin
more geometry to layer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:11:25 pm

Hi all
I have an object that is an editable layer. The geometry is really low on it and when rendered you can see the sharp edges. Is there any way to add more polygons to the layer without starting over? Thanks!
Joel

Return to posts index

Bradley Bates
Re: more geometry to layer
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:16:02 pm

You could take the knife tool and make some cuts to it, that will add more polygons.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:19:06 pm

you can try putting it into a HyperNurb that might work

Return to posts index

joel corwin
on Nov 1, 2012 at 3:53:21 pm

Thanks guys!
I tried the hypernurb, but I couldn't keep it from distorting the image. Any suggestions? I'll also try the knife tool, thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:04:01 pm

yeah, hypernurbs usually mean you have to be planning ahead to use them. you might be able to adjust after the fact but you have to have an understanding of what it's doing.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:13:47 pm

[joel corwin] "Thanks guys!
I tried the hypernurb, but I couldn't keep it from distorting the image. Any suggestions? I'll also try the knife tool, thanks!"

HyperNURBs essentially subdivides and smooths surfaces. It smooths the surface in much the same way as a B-Spline*.

This means that when two edges are very close to one another the surface will remain sharp(er) than if two edges are very distant from one another.

You may be able to use the Knife or Bevel tool in combination with a HyperNURBS generator to define what areas you'd like smoothed and which you'd like to keep defined (add edges where you want definition). However, this can lead to topology problems if it's done as an after thought.

*NURBS = Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline

I've attached some images to show how a B-Spline and a HyperNURBS behave with small changes to the detail of the underlying structure.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]