MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Splines On Active Surface?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe WalkerSplines On Active Surface?
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:10:36 pm

I'm trying to find a way to create text splines across a moving cloth surface that then need to be extruded (think embroidered logo on a flag). The opening shot starts in very tight, so textures and displacement will not work.

I'm coming from Maya where you can make a surface "live" and the splines will adhere to them. The "project" feature in C4D R13 seems to fall quite a bit short in that it doesn't stay procedural to the receiving surface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Splines On Active Surface?
by on Oct 24, 2012 at 5:30:25 am

Look into using the Surface Deformer. You can use this directly on a spline object. Make sure that the Spline is using an appropriate intermediate points mode that will give the spline sufficient detail to deform with the cloth (Natural is my go to in this situation, but Uniform with a high number value can work as well). However, if you extrude the spline from its deformed state the direction of the extrusion will still be in world space and won't reflect the cloth deformation.

If you're looking to deform the extrusion with the cloth then the setup gets a little more complicated. First you'll need to prepare the extrusion for deformation.

Subdivide the Caps of the Extrude NURBS object under the 'Caps' tab. Using quadrangles in a regular grid is appropriate here.

Then place the Extrude NURBS in a Connect object with an appropriate weld setting (to attach the caps to the extrusion) and phong setting.

Finally put this Connect object inside a Null object. Place your Surface Deformer in the Null object at the same level as the Connect object.

The details of the Surface Deformer are covered pretty well in the C4D help but if you need assistance please post back!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Joe WalkerRe: Splines On Active Surface?
by on Nov 2, 2012 at 10:27:33 pm

Thanks Darby. That worked perfectly!

Cranked up the mesh density and got a really clean render.

Now if I could just tackle this Thinking Particles puzzle :0

Thanks again.

Joe

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Splines On Active Surface?
by on Nov 3, 2012 at 12:59:30 am

[Joe Walker] "Now if I could just tackle this Thinking Particles puzzle :0"

Thinking Particles is a fun one. Working through some Thinking Particles exercises actually helped me get a better understanding of XPresso on the whole although I still have a lot to learn :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]