MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How do I increase the segments of a spline circle?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie WalkerHow do I increase the segments of a spline circle?
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:15:08 pm

hello all, I need to create a ring with a bevel edge for a badge I'm making, I've tried using a tube and turned on fillet but it doesn't give me the sharp bevel/fillet I get with extruded filleted text for example... I've now tried using a spline circle with ring selected and an inner and outer value... extrude works great, as does the fillet... but it's a little staggered/stepped looking, not that smooth.... is there a way of increasing the segments of the circle to make it smoother looking, like you can when creating a tube or a disc....?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: How do I increase the segments of a spline circle?
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 6:30:43 pm

With the circle spline selected there should be a section in the Object tab of the Attributes Manager that includes an "Intermediate Points" drop down menu as well as a Number, Angle and Maximum Length property. These control how many intermediate points are used along the spline.

The default is Adaptive which will add intermediate points to keep the change in angle along a curve at or below the Angle value (a lower Angle value means more intermediate points).

Depending on what you need the extrusion for you may be fine using Adaptive with a lower Angle value, or you might want to use another option.

For most purposes I like the 'Natural' option. This takes a Number value to define how many intermediate points there are in between each pair of spline points.

If you make a circle spline editable you'll see that the resulting spline is made of 4 points. So if you leave the Number value at 8 in the Natural mode you should end up with 36 subdivisions in your extrusion (4 spline sections * 8 intermediate points per section = 32 + 4 original sections = 36). If you increase the Number value to 16 then you would end up with 68 subdivisions.

The Uniform intermediate points mode is similar to Natural only the distribution of the intermediate points should be more... uniform :) With the Natural mode points should be clustered around areas that need more detail where as with the Uniform mode they will be evenly distributed across each spline segment.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jamie WalkerRe: How do I increase the segments of a spline circle?
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:48:37 pm

Many thanks Darby.... I'm pretty new to Cinema 4D and this was causing me a real problem... but it's all sorted now thank you, nice one.

cheers Jamie

Return to posts index

Bengt BengtssonRe: How do I increase the segments of a spline circle?
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 8:24:01 am

Hello, I have kind of the same problem, but I need to control the exact mount of vertices on the splines in cinema 4d. So if I had for example an helix spline, I want it to have for example 241 vertices, is there a way to make this happen? The reason for this is that I later on shall transform the splines to g-code and control a cnc camera control system for my DSLR. Every vertex will be a position for the camera.

best regards: Bengt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved