MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Thinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elad MagdasiThinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 5:28:09 am

Hello,
I'm working on a project and had an idea for this scene:
Water drops fall in slow motion then at one point they all transform into butterflies.

So I know my way around TP and how to make rain,
However I have no idea how to make the drops switch into something else (in a nice morphing way)
and even if I can use an animating object(and how) to make the butterflies fly(animating their wings) ...

Plus , the butterflies particles should move differently than the rain one...

Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance,
Elad.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Thinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:20:10 pm

it's relatively easy to change groups with TP and yes you can have animated objects - they even start their animation from the point they are born so they don't all animate in unison. Here is an example where spheres turn into "butterflies" once each particle gets to 45 frames in age. Morphing is possible it would just be another animation…

4783_tpchangeshape.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Elad MagdasiRe: Thinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:29:49 pm

Wow thanks for the file it's awesome!!and you're awesome

But, actually I wanted that at a curtain point all the sphere's will change to the butterflies
at the same time
and from the time of the change the butterflies will move around in a different way then the spheres(rain falls down, butterflies go all over)

I'm guessing it's easy to change your file to the state I want ...just getting lost in Xpresso trying to do that

maybe there's quick-fix I can do?

Thank you again so much !!!

p.s
all this crazy-links stuff with the remarks...nooo Idea how to deal with that is it a preset in cinema4d or you did it yourself?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 11, 2012 at 6:44:23 pm

most of the xpresso is just the Standard Emitter stuff, the only parts I added are in the upper-right corner but with a quick change taking out the PAge node and replacing it with a xpresso time node to pass the frame number we are in and a compare that asks "is it greater than or equal to frame 90" the particles all change group at frame 90.

Getting the new group to move differently is easy, just use some of the TP Presets (Wind etc) but make sure it/they are set to use only the particle group with the butterflies in it

4784_tpchangeshape2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Elad MagdasiRe: Thinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:09:27 pm

thanks that means alot !!! you're a pro...working on it :)

Return to posts index

Rob HolmesRe: Thinking Particles Problem - Morphing/Switching Objects
by on Mar 20, 2016 at 4:02:11 pm

I realize this is an old thread and no one may ever see it but I'm learning TP also. I use Max so I can't open the C4D file to review it.

My question is about animated objects that will become particles. I can't get my particles (Geometry Instances) to use the animation of the original instance object. The instance is a butterfly also. I have the wings animated and linked to the body. The TP generated particle butterfly instances don't flap. If I offset the animation frames for them the wings move, but when the timeline is previewing, they don't flap.

Is there a special hierarchy or object setup that is required for the original animated object. Or is there some setting in TP that turns ON the animation?

--------------------------------
3ds Max Design (3D Studio thru Max 2015), ASUS P9X79 Motherboard,
Intel i7-3960x, Hydro H80 CPU Chiller, 32GB DDR3 Ram,Quadro 4000 Display Adapter
----------------------------------

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2016 at 4:37:09 am

in C4D's version of TP the particle (animated or not) just has to be a child of a TP - Particle Geometry object to render but you can't use an Instance of the particle object (it wont even render) it has to be the base object (don't know if you just meant 'instance', the particle instance or if you meant an instance object used to generate the TP instance).
If the particle is animated it will always animate though, no special settings.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2016 at 4:53:59 am

Hey, thanks for the response.

Yea, it gets confusing. What I was trying to say was that I have a butterfly. It's a body mesh and two wing meshs. All separate meshes. The wings are animated to flap and linked to the body. The TP manual says that if I use that body mesh to generate (mesh) particles, say, 100 of them on a plane, that if I check 'Use Subtree Also' that it will use the body and bring in the flapping wings. It's worded to sound like "it just works." But I can't get it to. I get 100 butterflies on the plane no problem. I've even wrapped them around a sphere. But, they just don't move. They don't use the animation of the original mesh that generates them.

I realize C4D's implementation of TP was first and it's a little different than Max's. I was just hoping that there was some common trick. I appreciate the comments.

Intel i7-3960x, Hydro H80 CPU Chiller, 32GB DDR3 Ram,Quadro 4000 Display Adapter

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2016 at 5:18:24 am

Sorry I can't be more help but I don't know Max at all, good luck with the TP

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2016 at 5:30:42 am

Sure, understood. TP is difficult to get started with for sure, especially for a non-programmer like me. But I can see how powerful it can be. The more I work with it the more I see how it and many other "node" based programs are similar. It's all about 'getting' data and 'passing' data and doing things in-between. The most difficult part is learning the logic. For a non-coder, knowing when to use a 'random' multiplied by a number is difficult. But, it gets easier. You just have to do it over and over and over soon baby steps turn into larger steps. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to master it but I'm trying...lol...

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]