MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Tips on recreating lighting from real world footage to light composited 3D elements

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John BuckmanTips on recreating lighting from real world footage to light composited 3D elements
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 8:39:37 pm

http://www.videoblocks.com/videos/details/stone-ruins,-rock-walls,-archways/

I have motion tracked this beautiful scene and would like to add some elements from cinema into it and obviously want them to look comfortable there :D I understand post compositing helps a lot but would like to get as close to possible in Cinema first.

I would like to avoid GI because of flicker and high render times and think this would be a great learning experience to try and "recreate" the lighting of this scene.

What is a good approach to this? Should I create a "sky dome" of cloner lights? Or perhaps a large omni for the sun and some fill lights? Is there a good technique for determining what "colors" the lights should be, perhaps by sampling the image itself?

I also realize light reflects off of all surfaces, including the ground, so is that necessary to consider? There is little shadow in this scene as it appears cloudy and I can only assume near noon...?

Speaking of reflections, should I still consider using an HDRI of a similar environment just for reflections? Obviously I'll avoid overly reflective surfaces....

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Tips on recreating lighting from real world footage to light composited 3D elements
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:46:35 am

A hemisphere of lights for the sky and an infinite light for the sun are decent ways to start. You'll also need to add lights to simulate light bounce ... or you could use ambient light.

There are a couple of great old tutorials here by Carles Piles where he demonstrates his non-GI lighting setups: http://www.carlespiles.com/artwork/

Old version of Cinema, but I think it should still apply.

Return to posts index

John BuckmanRe: Tips on recreating lighting from real world footage to light composited 3D elements
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:02:55 pm

Thank you so much for your input! I'm glad you provided this link as I was having a surprisingly difficult time finding good lighting tutorials for this sort of set up. Another question, I know GI will take into account the colors of the HDRI, such as the warm orange bricks, and possibly the green of the trees? Should I color lights to simulate the effect of them bouncing around the environment. In other words, is the goal to light in a purely artistic way, not "real world", for example with red or green hued lights...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]