MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Stereoscopic cameras exported to AE

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GoldbergStereoscopic cameras exported to AE
by on Oct 7, 2012 at 10:02:21 pm

Hi All,
I just wanted to share something that really bagged me, and is hard to figure out for stereoscopic workflow.
I exported my two cameras to AE, and tried to add some text objects to locations that I exported from C4D. Strangely, The text (although it was way in the background) appeared to pop out of the screen. After about 3 hours, I finally figured it out -
The Cinema 4D Left Camera is actually the Right Camera, and vice versa. I don't know if this is a naming issue with AE, or just a bug in C4D or what. If you look at a stereo camera from the top view
and switch the mode from symmetrical to Left, you'll see the left camera is actually the right eye camera. Easy solution ofcourse is to just switch your cameras in the AE comp.
Thought I'd share this if anyone runs into the same problem.

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael GoldbergRe: Stereoscopic cameras exported to AE
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 1:06:54 pm

Hi All,

Just an update to the above issue. It turns out 1 piece of text was looking ok, but it was actually still not in the correct position. It doesn't seem to be an eye reversal issue. I think I've now determined the problem, but don't have an answer yet. In C4D, for stereoscopic workflow it's recommended that your stereo camera be set to Off Axis mode. This mode will allow you to change you 0 parallax point. It seems That if I render in this mode, and use external compositing tags to add objects in AE, the added objects don't line up. I believe it to be a camera issue as opposed to a location issue. My guess is that AE uses parallel cameras, and that's causing the issue. I did a test, and rendered the same scene in C4D using the parallel rig vs the off axis rig, and everything matched in AE. The problem is that in C4D, the parallel rig does not allow you to control the 0 parallax point. I'm not really sure yet of an answer, other than rendering everything in C4D. Has anyone encountered this, and maybe have a solution?

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael GoldbergRe: Stereoscopic cameras exported to AE
by on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:01:42 pm

Hi again,
Me updating my own post once again, for anyone who's interested in this issue.
Next test was to use the on axis mode in C4D. Using the on axis rotates the cameras slightly, and this mode does match when exported to AE. It also allows you to adjust the 0 parallax handle. I'm not sure of the difference in the actual render vs the on axis mode, so I'll try to approach that next and see if it's noteworthy.

Mike

Return to posts index

Gastón SosoRe: Stereoscopic cameras exported to AE
by on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:58:01 pm

So how did it go? Did you work it out finally?

Gast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]