MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Fluid simulation?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian MurphyFluid simulation?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:34:08 pm

I'm really proud of Maxon's progression with Cinema 4D over the past several years. Being considered a software geared more towards motion graphics though, they seem to throw in features that elude to their attempt to compete with other packages offering, for example, more in the way of dynamic simulations and character rigging.

One thing desperately missing is any kind of fluid simulation and if you've ever tried to accomplish this with metaballs, you'll find yourself banging your head against the wall, only able to accomplish blobby-like goo without streaming fluid motion. If you scale down your source particle, lessen your hull and increase your number of particles, then your computer kicks the bucket.

I have seen Real Flow and DPIT Effex's ability to bring this much needed effect to our beloved software but not without a hefty price. Real Flow's price is simply ridiculous unless I'm doing fluid simulation as a career.

Do any of you insiders to Cinema 4D know of any plans to pursue a built in fluid simulation capability?

If not, how many other options are out there? DPIT is around $700 - Any feedback on DPIT? Anyone found something moderately priced that doesn't go overboard with settings but offers simple and basic fluid capabilities?

Thanks for any advice,

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Fluid simulation?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 7:33:33 pm

in addition to RealFlow and DPIT there is TurbulenceFD here
and there was PhyFluids but i don't think any version exists beyond C4D 11.5 (Remo may be working on updating but I'm not sure)

oh yeah, and some people have had some kind of success with Blender Fluids (but I have only heard that, never seen it)

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Fluid simulation?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:16:12 am

No idea if Maxon has any plans re: fluids, but I have DPIT FX and it's pretty good for both smoke/fire and fluids. Probably not quite up to RealFlow standards for fluid, but useful for lots of things.

It is pretty complex and hardware intensive, however. It's one of those things where I don't use it enough to really master it, so each time I go back to it I end up having to relearn a bunch of stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved