MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

MoGraph Rotating Flash in Marquee Light?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason ConnollyMoGraph Rotating Flash in Marquee Light?
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:06:17 am

Hello the COW!

I'm trying to emulate the way the lights on a marquee sign turn on and off and I'm stumped. See attached screen grab:

I've got two CLONER objects lining the top and bottom of the sign but having trouble alternating lights turning on and off.

Here's the scene file:

Any tips, suggestions welcome!

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: MoGraph Rotating Flash in Marquee Light?
by on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:12:28 am

There are probably many ways to do this, and mine may not be the best, but in the following example I cloned along a rectangular spline and used sort mode, which allows you to use effectors to select which of several clones to use.

For this example I just substituted a luminous bulb for the second clone.

The shader effector is using the texture and UVs of a sweep nurbs that uses the same rectangle spline. I used a tile shader in line mode to get alternating black and white stripes. Then I animated the offset in the texture tag to create the animation.

The tricky part was getting the right scale for the tile shader. And then, for some reason unbeknownst to me, the Shader effector only works correctly when the tile shader is set to repeat in the V direction, when by all rights it should be set to repeat in U. I found the same thing with the gradient shader, so I suspect it may be a bug.

Aaaanyway ... the file:

Return to posts index

Jason ConnollyRe: MoGraph Rotating Flash in Marquee Light?
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:55:47 pm

THanks very much, Adam!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved