MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

C4d newbie - Camera Rotation not holding

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barbara MillsC4d newbie - Camera Rotation not holding
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 6:27:58 am

Hello - I am VERY new to C4d (R14, Mac, 10.6.8, 20GB ram) I have worked off and on with Lightwave for quite a few years so I am not new to 3D, though I have never done very difficult things.
Just to give you a feel for what I am doing this time . . .
I have a very large scene translated from CAD. It seems to be loaded properly and I have been able to work with it but things are very slow.
I need to do a flyover. (The massive scene stays still the camera moves.)

The problem I am having seems so basic .
I have been setting up several cameras to get good angles on the scene.
I set position and rotation for the angle I need. Then I create a different camera and set up a different location and rotation.
But when I go back to one of the previously set cameras, it has lost it's rotation settings. (not always)
I have tried: setting protection tags, setting key frames, typing in all coordinates by hand from paper so I won't accidentally move things, saving religiously, and still I cannot get a camera to stay where I put it, specifically in regard to rotation.
I have not tried to do any animation. I have not set any targets, just trying to be really basic to start out.
I am so frustrated. any ideas?
Thanks,
Barb o_O

Return to posts index

Seth OlsonRe: C4d newbie - Camera Rotation not holding
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:27:50 pm

I've had a problem with that, especially if I have set up animation of a null with a camera parented. I was able to solve my issues by copy and pasting the contents of the scene and paste into another. Kinda ghetto, but it is worth a try.

Also, cmd+shift+z actually undoes camera movement, which has been a problem for shortcut happy people like myself. :)

Return to posts index

Barbara MillsRe: C4d newbie - Camera Rotation not holding
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:46:15 am

Thanks Seth, It's nice to know it's not *just* me being inept.
I did have a crash just before all this started, but it was while doing something with surfaces, not cameras.
I blamed that one on the gigantic number of objects that had the surface I was trying to change.

I'm absolutely not above *ghetto*whatever works, but - Copy/paste is not really an option in this example because there is no way I can "copy" my 3GB scene. I'm thinking delete all the cameras, save as and then try again.

Barb :-)

Return to posts index

Barbara MillsRe: C4d newbie - Viewports matching
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:12:07 pm

I'm sure this is operator error, but it seems I have somehow set all my viewports to be linked to each other. When I bring my scene up, all four ports redraw to top view (for example) then when I switch one to front view they all slowly redraw to front view. I I choose another one and set it to a different view, they all redraw to match whichever one I have just changed. I really need to un-set whatever thing I managed to set to make it work like this.
Can anyone help me??

Return to posts index

by on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:38:03 pm

I should have noted above - using C4d R14, still working on my gigantic chemical plant scene, Mac 10.6.8 2x3Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 20 Gb ram.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: C4d newbie - Viewports matching
by on Oct 22, 2012 at 10:33:08 pm

in the Cameras menu of each of the viewports you can change them back to whatever they should be (or what you want them to be)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:27:02 pm

Thanks Brian - I figured out what my problem was - sort of . . . It took me a while to realize that you have to set the camera to Default Camera, and then choose Top View. I would never have suspected there would be a top view (for example) connected to the camera I had created with a whole set of coordinates. So that was what was confusing me. I kept setting Top View, but since the window was set to one of my cameras, it didn't work as expected! A lot of my (wrong) expectations come from trying to relate C4D to Lightwave.

I still don't know how all my viewports got set to one non-default camera - must be gremlins ;-D

Barb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]