MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Turn off individual dynamic objects once hitting a surface?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen turcotte
Turn off individual dynamic objects once hitting a surface?
on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:08:59 pm

I've created a cupcake, where Thinking Particles (sprinkles) are falling onto the frosting. I used a PDeflector node and attached it to the frosting geometry, turning the friction to 100% allowing for them to stick. The sprinkle geometry has a rigid body dynamic tag attached, which takes care of the sprinkles that miss the frosting and hit the floor.

The cupcake itself, along with the floor contain a collider body so the sprinkles bounce when detected. The sprinkles are sticking great, but when other dynamic TP sprinkles hit the sprinkles that are already settled on the frosting, they interact and fall to the floor. I guess they're doing what they're supposed to do, but is there a way to turn off dynamics for objects that have already reached their desired destination?

Return to posts index

Seth Olson
Re: Turn off individual dynamic objects once hitting a surface?
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:40:41 pm

Could you try PFreeze instead of PFriction?

Return to posts index

stephen turcotte
on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:34:36 am

I'm only using the friction parameter within PDeflector, but turns out it wasn't really doing much for my particular situation. The problem is within dynamics, I believe, as the sprinkles that have already settled are effected by the incoming falling sprinkles with rigid body tags.

There must be a way to have two separate particle groups, one that hit the cupcake frosting, and another group that totally miss the cupcake.

Return to posts index

Seth Olson
on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:18:30 pm

Ah! This might help:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/04/thinking-particles-tpgroups-events...

You can do exactly as you described!

Return to posts index

stephen turcotte
on Sep 25, 2012 at 4:49:03 pm

Hi Seth,

Great tutorial, thanks for pointing me in that direction. From that I've come up with a pretty straight forward solution using PSurface Position and PPosition Follow to gather the "sticky" sprinkles on the frosting. And another dynamic group of TP that bounce off occasionally and interact with the floor.

Good call and thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]