MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Co-ordinates of objects changing when grouped.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex McMurray
Co-ordinates of objects changing when grouped.
on Sep 15, 2012 at 1:02:26 am

Hi all.

Take this as a noobie question.
I am building a small factory in C4d v12.
I am using the cm values.

At the corners and at various points along the front and side walls, I have concrete pillars.
One original at the (z=0-x=0) co-ordinates, then instances at (z-x),(0 - 15000 cm), (11000 - 15000 cm), (22000 cm - 15000 cm), (33000 cm - 15000 cm) etc as examples.

After grouping, using the examples above, the co-ordinates for the z direction have changed, 0 is now -15952,7 cm, the 11000 co-ordinate is now -5502.7 cm and so on.
It appears a -16000 value has been added to the x direction position.
There does not appear to be any change in the x position co-ordinates.

When I take a pillar out of the grouping, the position goes back to what is should be.

I am perplexed, is it something I am doing, or something I am not doing when grouping various objects.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Alex.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Co-ordinates of objects changing when grouped.
on Sep 15, 2012 at 7:31:24 pm

Are you looking at local coordinates? These represent the coordinates relative to the parent object. When you create a group all of the objects in that group become children of a null. You can change to view global coordinates instead. I think you could also move your parent object's (the null's) axis to the world origin [0,0,0].

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Alex McMurray
on Sep 15, 2012 at 8:42:31 pm

Yes, that was it, thank you.
Changed them to World co-ordinates.

Unfortunately found another problem, which was mine and nothing to do with C4d, been using 1000 cm per metre instead of 100, now I've got to re-scale, sigh.

Alex.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 16, 2012 at 5:55:15 am

With such large numbers you could use meters and avoid some of those issues. C4D includes a preference to automatically convert units so that if you are viewing in cm and you type in 1.5m it will be converted to 150cm.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Alex McMurray
on Sep 16, 2012 at 7:35:57 pm

I was using that format (1 unit = 1 mt) in the previous modeller, and was making just as many errors, when trying to model in the cm range.
It's more a matter of old age catching up, and not paying attention.
Just with I had found Cinema 4d earlier.

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]