MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Flickering Shader Problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Goldsmith
Flickering Shader Problem
on Sep 11, 2012 at 5:14:16 pm

Hi folks

I've been testing the C4D r14 demo and discovered an issue with one of the shaders (Nukei) when animated:

http://www.the-pirate-twins.co.uk/c4d/shader_test.mov

Apologies for the lack of quality/clarity in the movie (I compressed it down to get a decent file size) but you can still make out the problem I'm querying.

The purple face of the text flickers as the text falls. At first I thought it was the motion that was causing it but, as you can see, when the text has come to rest, it continues to flicker.

Does anyone know what might cause this.? I'm very new to C4D so it could simply be how that shader behaves (though I doubt it)?

Note: I have uploaded the video using the servers here but the compression (presumably it's that) makes the flickering very hard to spot, so it's best to use my link above.

Cheers,

Darren.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Flickering Shader Problem
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:17:59 pm

if you have any animation in the noise settings it will animate the noise and give you artifacts. I'm talking about the speed in the Noise's settings not the speed setting in the Fusing tab of the Nukei

Return to posts index

Darren Goldsmith
on Sep 11, 2012 at 10:47:28 pm

That's the thing (and one of the first things I checked for), there is zero movement and speed for the Noise settings.

There's no GI (which I'm told might ordinarily have been a culprit), just 1 spot with soft shadows.

Could it be my anti-alias settings? I'm using the standard 'Geometry' at the moment.

Cheers,

Darren.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:07:53 am

I wouldn't think so, at least not without camera movement, you could try the Gauss (Animation) filter though... I tried some tests here and I am not seeing what's in your example video, it just stays still like it should. Can you post the scene?

Return to posts index

Darren Goldsmith
on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:10:46 am

Hi Brian

I did some tests last night with increased anti-aliasing... and while the flickering was reduced, it was still noticeable and, of course, at the cost of increased render times.

I guess if I upped the anti-alias levels even further, the problem might go away completely but it would take forever to produce even the most basic of animations.

I've posted the scene here, if you want to have a look-see:

http://www.the-pirate-twins.co.uk/c4d/test8_4.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 13, 2012 at 1:01:22 am

it's caused by the Dynamics, the text is actually still moving. It's a normal simulated dynamics thing, there are no actual surfaces to touch each other and gravity keeps dragging the text down every frame and the system puts the text back. It's a very small movement that ordinarily does not show (but can keep 'coins' moving on a floor when they should have stopped) but here the texture exposes it.
You can stop it though - in the Force tab of the Dynamics tag on the text keyframe Linear and Angular Damping to 0% at frame 75 (about where it should stop) and 100% at frame 76. That will actually stop the text and looks good in my test renders.

Return to posts index

Darren Goldsmith
on Sep 13, 2012 at 12:26:42 pm

Aha... yes, that worked a treat. Thanks! The text flickers (though I suppose, more accurately, it should be called shimmers) when it's dropping but I assume that's just the way the shader is set up, i.e. there are parts designed to glint/catch the light.

My main modeller is Modo (has been since 101) and it's recently had dynamics added but I've never felt compelled to play with it. C4D just feels a lot easier, for some reason. I don't think the renderer is as nice or as capable as Modo but it's damn close. I've loved what I've seen of the demo so far. The price for Studio is staggering however... :/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]