MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

I have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raf ErosaI have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 2:19:06 pm

I am fairly good at making my own grafix using the items INSIDE C4D... But when it come to coloring and 3D'ing COMPLEX objects imported into C4D, then I am struggling..

Here is a sample object that I came up with:
https://www.box.com/s/ln2af1rvj98t5sggf359

I need to add color to everything. But when I add the nurbs... they seem to pick and choose which parts to fill in.
And I 3D painting doesnt allow me to edit or color anything. HELP!

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: I have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 5:41:15 pm

the imported splines will only fill if the spline segments are closed. That file is going to need a lot of tweaking to make it work properly (it's a nice image though). Some of the splines need to be closed and some will have to be connected - anything that needs to be solid with a hole like and "e" for example the inner hole in the e needs to be connected with the outer part to have the hole work.

Return to posts index

Raf ErosaRe: I have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
by on Sep 7, 2012 at 11:14:11 pm

So, what are the steps for connecting and reconnecting splines?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: I have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 2:44:19 am

now that I've had the chance to actually load the file in C4D and not just look at it in Illustrator it's surprisingly close. In Illustrator I thought it would be much rougher with all the splines that are short segments with only two points (so there won't be any thickness when it extrudes) and the splines crossing over each other so often. It has a nice 'organic' look to it with all the changes of width but it's not a clean spline (in terms of construction) and it confuses the extrudenurb into giving those filled in faces in the front and back.
The way the splines are mashed around like that (close but not quite) I'm guessing a Trace was done on a graphic without a high enough number of points to preserve the full shape of the graphic.
Whichever is the reason a lot of individual points need to get moved, some I would combine - like the individual glyphs on the edge where there are 4 or 5 short splines next to each other - by selecting the splines then select Connect (right-click) or Connect and Delete which puts them all in one spline then you could reconnect the points with the point tools and make a spline which actually will extrude with some thickness.
It's a nasty amount of work to clean it up and if you have an original graphic I'd retrace it. If that's not how it was made it's going to be a bunch of point by point work to make it right.

Return to posts index

Raf ErosaRe: I have a very complex image I need to make 3d and color...I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.
by on Sep 8, 2012 at 10:19:50 am

Yup.. lots of crazy points on that image...I am going to try a new method to get the image to look right. I have something in mind. But I need to know is there a way to lock or merge various layers? (Not just parent & child.)
I have each individual image just about right, just when i put them on the lay out, I need to have the images lock together or merged so they move at the same time.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2012 at 7:19:05 pm

layers? Do you mean objects (spline objects)? Or are you talking about C4D layers? you can merge spline objects by selecting the ones you want to merge and using the Connect or Connect and Delete commands.
If you want objects to move together but you don't want one to be a child of the other you place them both in the same Null and move the null, or you can use a Constraint tag or xpresso.

Return to posts index

Raf ErosaIs there a way to select inverse fill in C4D? It is filling in the opposite of what I want.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 1:57:20 pm

ok.. i cleaned up the object to my likings.. but now it is filling in the wrong parts of the image. It is filling in the body but the outline is transparent. I want the outline image visible but the body transparent. How to I select inverse fill?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Is there a way to select inverse fill in C4D? It is filling in the opposite of what I want.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:00:45 pm

If all your Segments (individual splines inside one spline object - Segments in C4D terms) are in one object then C4D counts inward from the outside and fills in between the first and second spline, leaves a gap between 2 and 3 and so on. It might be that and if so you might have to pull parts out that need to go together so you can control the fills the way you need to.
The other possibility is since C4D only fills closed splines, are all the spline bits that need to be closed, closed? (probably)

I'd have to see your spline as it is now to know for sure.

Return to posts index

Raf ErosaRe: Is there a way to select inverse fill in C4D? It is filling in the opposite of what I want.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:28:33 pm

Can you give me something more step-by-step? (As expensive as this program is, I would think there would be a simpler way to do this.) I didnt have this problem until I smoothed out the image. Every anchor is where it should be.

So if I have to go in a start editing splines, How would I do that? What options and buttons would i need to press? I need a more laymens explanation. I am not new at this, but I am not as proficient as I would like to be.

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Is there a way to select inverse fill in C4D? It is filling in the opposite of what I want.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 8:20:27 pm

no, it is not a vector editor, the place to do that is Illustrator etc. but it does have a fair amount of ability. You should be editing splines like this in the front view not the perspective view (but you are likely doing that already, I say it just in case). Editing in point mode and use the various point mode tools to get what you want. Once again you already probably know that.

Post your scene again and I'll see if I can find out what the problem is otherwise I'm just guessing and there are too many places to look/talk about.

Return to posts index

Raf ErosaRe: Is there a way to select inverse fill in C4D? It is filling in the opposite of what I want.
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:29:56 pm

here is the screen shot of the front with all the point on the path.

Here is what i have tried so far to nurb:
-re-ordered the hierarchy -nogo
-grouped all paths into 1path via connect all. -nogo
-made 2 groups: Path 1 is the outer border, path 2 is the connected groups of all the stuff inside. Though it gives me even better curves..When i try to EX Nurb, it does not fillet or add caps. -unknown.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:40:07 pm

Here is my original work...This is what I want, but just with smoother lines/ walls.. (you may be asking: " Why dont you just go ahead and use this one?" My answer: I need to make the curves smoother. If you look inside the little man, the the lines are not smooth.)

does this help?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 10:29:48 pm

This what I ended up with when I smoothed out the edges. It now fills in the body and not the borders. How can I fix that?

Here is the C$D project file: https://www.box.com/s/ha0yrm13r1x2oodts84r

Here is the AI path file:
https://www.box.com/s/0aqhch4incn87byxttyi

I really need a solution for this. I feeling kinda down about it. 2 days of working on this, and I cant get it right. :(

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 12:55:39 am

Any clues on how to select the inverse? I dont know how it got flipped. frustrating. :/

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:56:47 am

The C4D file is real close but has some extra points in some places and the structure is not right yet. I did a quick video because it's easier to just show you rather than write it.
I keep using Optimize in the video by right-clicking - it's not there in the right-click contextual menu for splines by default in 14 but I added it using Window/Customizations/Customize Menus you can access Optimize in the Mesh/Commands menu.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/mayasplineclean

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:45:52 am

wow! GREAT VDO! I will start working on it in the morning.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:01:14 am

how do i fix the splines that have the small loops.. They seem to be twists, and when untwisted, the ruin the other parts of the nurbs. How do I edit it, replace it or fix it?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:12:25 am

optimize doesnt fix those. :/

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 1:42:20 pm

select both points - Live Select tool with Only Select Visible Elements unchecked - and use the Weld Tool (Mesh/Create Tools M-Q is the shortcut)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 2:33:46 pm

Ok.. The small bezier loops are not being romoved with "Optimize"...
How do fix those small loops if the Optimization doesnt work?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:22:47 pm

Ok.. The small bezier loops are not being romoved with "Optimize"
And I notice my beziers are bent outward. How can I flatten or fix that? It is messing up the face of the image.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:37:31 pm

welding didnt work for me. :/
This shape doesnt have a loop. it is bent outward. when i move it to makeit flat, the other lines bow out the opposite side.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:50:58 pm

Ok.. The small bezier loops are not being romoved with "Optimize"

Weld tool does NOT work right. it ruins the entire shape. If I can figure this out, I am good to go. this seems to be the last thing i cannot figure out.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:39:31 pm

Ok.. I am almost done. I did everything you said with 95% success.. The only thing I cannot figure out is fixing the twisted beziers on the Z plane.

Take a look at Paths: 74, 77, 85 and 94. Those are the last ones.

there is also a weird twist down on the your bottom left by the knee touching the ground.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2012 at 12:25:31 am

the last 4 are easy to fix but that's where you definitely have to be working in the front view so you see the spline straight-on. For those 4 you need to move the Bezier handles so the spline does not cross over itself. Work from the Front view using the Move tool (once the part of the spline you are changing is selected) hold the shift key and grab the Bezier handle to move the spline.

- You need to be in front view or it's easy to accidentally move the spline in 3 dimensions and you want to stay with the handle still in the same plane as the spline

- You use the shift key so that when you move the handle you are moving only one handle of pair that are there for all Bezier points

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:19:41 pm

OK. I finished it. THank YOU! On the face of my capped nurbs, i have creases because the beziers are not flat on the z plane. is there a way to flatten it?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2012 at 12:05:54 am

one quick way is to set the points that are not on-plane to Hard Interpolation then set them back to Soft Interpolation - but that changes the handle lengths back to default, they'll be on the plane but you have to move them to get your shape back the way it was, ok if there are not too many of them.
Another way is to work on the point in the Structure manager in Point mode, the values <-Z and Z-> are what you want, set them to 0 and it will put the bezier handles back on 0 in Z - you retain the shape that way...
There may be other ways I'm not thinking of.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]