MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Material Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diane KoroMaterial Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 4:36:34 pm

Sorry for such a silly question but I've tried googling this and can't find anything...also posted on anther forum and am not receiving any helpful comments...

I'm using version 11. All I want is a tube with a orange-to-yellow fill. Sounds simple enough, BUT...I also want to fade this tube off with an alpha...see below for the problem (you can't see the yellow, because the yellow is in the faded-out side on the right)...

Here's my fill settings:

Now of course if it weren't for the alpha I could just rotate the tube...so I've been doing this manually in Photoshop, which is annoying but I'll continue to do unless there's a "right way" to do this...

The one response I got on the "other" forum was "check out the Start and End parameters. that dictates the length and direction of the gradient."

Um, okay...so I'm dropping in numbers randomly and am not getting anywhere. Again googling results in nothing...can someone quickly explain the parameters to get a diagonal gradient?

Thank you in advance...

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Material Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:29:35 pm

You are using a 3D gradient and the Start and End values are XYZ coordinates in 3D space, right now your gradient is running from -100 X to 100 X and if your object is anywhere in that space it will get some of the gradient. Other gradient options may be much more appropriate but first - how do you want the gradient to cover your tube? Top to bottom? Where does the alpha fit in? What is it doing?

Return to posts index

Diane KoroRe: Material Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:47:09 pm

I just want the default gradient (left to right) to be 90 degrees, or top to bottom, and the alpha to stay at the default 0 degrees (left to right). That's all I need done. So its a tube with orange at the top, yellow at the bottom and fading off at the right...see below which I did in psd...

The numbers in Start and End were default numbers when I selected the 3D option...

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Material Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:58:49 pm

The answer you got on the other forum was correct. I can't tell how your object is oriented, but let's say for example that your object is facing Z, is at world zero, and has a diameter of 100 units:

If you have the first set of numbers (X direction) set to start -100 and end 100, you will get a fade from left to right across the face of the tube. Now, if you leave that as-is and set the second set of numbers (Y direction) to -100 start and 100 end, you will get a diagonal gradient running from the bottom left to top right. If you swap those two numbers you'll get a diagonal gradient from the top left to bottom right.

Return to posts index

Diane KoroRe: Material Question: Gradient 3D - No Diagonal Option?
by on Sep 6, 2012 at 9:38:20 pm

Wow, I do believe I've gotten this to work!!!

(I had posted some attempts that went awry but since nobody responded I'm just going to overwrite it).

Thanks for helping, this is going to come in handy quite a bit (no more faking in photoshop!)...

dk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]