MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

360 panoramic render GI issues

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen turcotte360 panoramic render GI issues
by on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:39:04 pm

I've taken a stock scene file that shipped with Cinema 4d and I'm trying to create a 360 degree render. I've placed a reflective sphere in the center of the scene and baked the texture. The results are pretty poor, as the GI doesn't seem to be rendering all the way. I only have checked off the reflection option- I've attempted to check the illumination box, but all that rendered was a black square.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: 360 panoramic render GI issues
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 12:41:35 pm

don't know why reflection (at least baked) doesn't show GI the same way but it helps to put a compositing tag on the sphere and leave only Seen By Rays checked but cranking the GI settings is the only thing I'm seeing to get better results... a couple more tests and I think it has something to do with Supersampling in the Bake Texture tags Tag properties. It says in the help that it's for antialiasing (which doesn't bake usually) but if I turn it on I can get similar results with Supersampling as I can with cranking the GI settings but with shorter render times. There is a huge difference in render times between supersampling 3 and 5 though - basically it's going to take a while regardless of the settings you choose and I don't know if it will ever be perfect. I did try Physical and it was dark (maybe something would help) and I tried QMC but that was going to take a *long* time so I stopped it.

Return to posts index

stephen turcotteRe: 360 panoramic render GI issues
by on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:29:54 pm

Thanks Brian. I've done a few more test as well and came to the same conclusion. I got a pretty decent render with QMC and set the sample count at a very high rate, but it definitely took quite a few hours. Here's an example of what I came up with:

Thanks again for looking into this.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Jesse StormerRe: 360 panoramic render GI issues
by on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:37:04 pm

Thanks guys, this helped a lot. I found a few other threads where nobody has posted an answer yet, so I'm going to link them here. I'd also like to add a few keywords here to get some better hits on google results.

C4D, GI, Reflection, HDRI, bake, problems, splotchy, QMC,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved