MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

OpenGL 3.1 ... no 4.x support because of Apple?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ainscough
OpenGL 3.1 ... no 4.x support because of Apple?
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:25:06 pm

As I understand it, R13 on the Windows 64bit side is being restricted to OpenGL 3.1 because that's all Apple currently support (actually Apple list OpenGL 3.2 support)?

I'm a PC to Apple to PC to Apple to PC convert over the past 30 or so years and what I've learned is that a company should NEVER restrict themselves based on what Apple is or isn't doing ... it could be death sentence. OpenGL is in a pretty sad state on OSX and Apple don't seem to really care ... I'm hoping this is a wake up call for MAXON.

Since I know my nVidia GTX570 supports OpenGL 4.3 on the Windows platform and DirectX 11.1 (OpenGL 3.1 is missing some significant performance and visual enhancement features) - anyone know if R14 Studio will support OpenGL 4.x rather than the 3+ year old OpenGL 3.1 spec? There really are night and day differences between OpenGL 3.x and 4.x

Rob.

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
Re: OpenGL 3.1 ... no 4.x support because of Apple?
on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:03:42 pm

Oh and why I think there is huge benefit in OpenGL 4.3 is the addition of compute shader which would have a significant impact or particle systems (which C4D has many).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]