MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Random rotation for Thinking Particle sprites

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn MarshallRandom rotation for Thinking Particle sprites
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:27:06 am

I'm following this basic procedure to create single-polygon sprites using thinking particles:

I'm using a TP Surface Emitter and the PAlignment setup in the tutorial to make my flat sprites always face the camera. Now I want to add random z-rotation to those sprites (while all still facing the camera), but I can't figure out how to do that.

I've been playing with inserting a PSpin mode into the mix to create that randomness, but I've had no luck getting it to work. I probably need another PPass or such, but I don't know how to configure that. I've probably relied too much on the TP presets, so I'm weak when it comes to building stuff from scratch. I'm going through Cineversity but have yet to find a tutorial that helps much.

I've posted a distilled scene file here:

You can use the Z Rotation in the PAlignment node to rotate all of the particles globally, but I want a different Z Rotation randomly applied to the particles. If I change the variation the sprites no longer face the camera. Does it take two steps, one to make the sprites face the camera and a second node (like PSpin) to add a random rotation to the z axis?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: Random rotation for Thinking Particle sprites
by on Aug 17, 2012 at 11:29:35 pm

I think this does what you're looking for:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved